1. What is that the automobile industry is doing differently with the metals used for car bodies, and the paint? Have you noticed that nowadays when a car gets a dent, it pushes in almost like plastic--the paint doesn't even crack? Don't get me wrong, I think it might be a good thing--but what are they doing differently?
2. Why is oatmeal in a stout cardboard container, but crushable stuff like potato chips in bags that will assuredly get crushed?
3. Today I worked in the library's book sale area, sorting and packing books that were then moved to storage by the work-release prisoners we'd hired for the day. As we were sorting, one of them read the title of a book out loud: "Children and Drugs."
"Whoa," I said. "Bad combination."
"Yeah," he replied. "I should have read that book a few years ago."
These young men impressed me. I don't know why they were afoul of the law. I do know that they worked hard, and that they were readers. They all agreed that Louis L'Amour was the best, and all had read Where the Red Fern Grows. "That's a good book," I said, "but every time I read it, the dog still dies. Same ending every time." They looked at me a second, then grinned. One said, "Hunh. I noticed the same thing!"
4. Why is it that when I don't have my camera I see the most amazing things?
Like in Columbus the other night in the McDonald's drive-thru lane there was a tow truck, and right behind him a hearse. Were they in a partnership to go to wrecks together?
Or yesterday morning--the sun coming up a dangerous ruddy glow, and in the west the full moon tinged pink from the sun's rays. That was just minutes before the snow began to fall so thickly I could barely see to drive.
This morning was cold and clear, and when I reached the end of Joe's Run the moon was still big and round in the west. It made a golden path across the ice on the lake. Beautiful. And no camera. Sigh.
5. Why am I so lucky as to have a husband who waxes floors and dusts, and then fixes my dinner and has chilled wine and a fire ready for me when I get home? What did I ever do to deserve that?