Pages

Sunday, February 10, 2008

First Flowers



Okay, they're forced. But I still feel like spring might be not so far off when I see this patch of bright yellow on the old table in the log room.

Another sign: lettuce seeds in the ground. When? Last Saturday. Will they make it? Who knows? Maybe. Probably. At least some of them. Maybe most. It's a game of chance, playing on a hunch that spring will be early this year.






We had thunder this month, though, and thunder in February means frost in May. So we may have an early spring, but winter may dig its long fingers into the ground and bring cold back to us when we least expect it. I hope not--late frosts and the drought last year ruined the fruit crop.

Come what may, I have some flowers and green now, just when I need it most.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...