Pages

Thursday, March 6, 2008

Belated Birthday: For Mary



Mary of the bright black eyes
curling coal-dark gypsy hair
And silver fairy laugh

Mary, apple of her Daddy’s eyes
He called her to the garden gate
My darling little black-eyed girl



Family in 1959, left to right, front row: Judy holding Stephen, Theresa, Maggie, Mary. Back row: me, Joe, Tom, Bill.

Mary of the dimpled legs
That ran to meet him every night
Crying out Black hair! Black eyes!

He stretched his arms so wide that she
could jump against his chest
His funny little baby girl, Mary quite contrary

Mary of the silver hair
Eyes grow soft with many cares
Mary, sister number three,

Happy Birthday, black-eyed Mary!

5 comments:

  1. Have you ever looked at that picture and wondered what Joe had put in Theresa's hair? Looks like Tom was having a hard time keeping a straight face about it, whatever it was!

    Oh wait, look at that innocent face you had. Hmmm.... Might you be the culprit and Joe merely inspecting your handiwork?

    Puts me in mind of the famous cookie jar picture...

    Aaron

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aha! I never noticed that. The photographer (I think it was Uncle Kenneth who was not really our uncle but an aunt's father) had a terrible time getting us to be still. Even in the picture we look a little wiggly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you very much Susie! How touching, and I really appreciate that you remember little things like the "Black Hair Black Eyes"..A wonderful end to my week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad, Mary. You certainly deserve something special. Brian and you will both be in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad, Mary. You certainly deserve something special. Brian and you will both be in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...