Pages

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Planting Time?

Sort of.

Although the lettuce is growing just fine under it's plastic cover outside, the seeds I started this weekend need a little more tender care.

Two flats are all I have going right now. One holds cabbage (Savoy, my favorite, and a mixture of other small cabbages that are an experiment this year) and broccoli. The other flat is all tomatoes: Early Girl because they're, well, early; Sweet 100s because they're early and we like to plant some beside the driveway to grab when we're coming and going; and Roma because they're best for canning.

I will hold these in the house until their second set of leaves appear, and then they'll move out to the greenhouse. Meanwhile, this weekend I'll seed more tomatoes and maybe some herbs and peppers.

I'm not the only one feeling the push of the season. We heard peepers for the first time today, and the groundhogs and skunks are beginning to stir. This morning we drove up on a skunk waddling across the road in the pre-dawn dark--believe me, he got the right-of-way! The dogs found one too; we never saw it but we're still smelling it on them three days later.

I am looking for the coltsfoot to come into bloom any day now. It's usually our first Spring flower. By the end of the month, the daffodils will be blooming and we'll be cutting grass.

Right now that seems a long time away.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...