I was thinking today, when I wrote on Facebook about black cherry yogurt, that there are many things that make my days easier--easier in the sense that they relax me, make the time pass well, or give that extra little flip of joy. These are family-related or people related necessarily--those are givens. These are the other things, like the black cherry yogurt Larry packs in my lunch, that make me say "Life is good."
What would be the top ten of these? Here's my list:
1. Really good coffee, preferable hazelnut. And tea, Earl Grey, in English teacups.
2. Eggs for breakfast. I like them best fried, but soft-boiled is great, and coddled is awesome.
3. The smell of rain, especially rain that starts soft and easy.
4. A good book on tape. The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency books relax me and bring my stress level down about 50 notches. The reader's voice in these books is perfect, and the easy, slow way of life in Botswana as Mma Ramotswe goes about solving life's small problems reminds me not to take things so seriously.
5. Old ballads well sung.
6. Time on the yard swing that was the porch swing that we bought when I was 8 months pregnant with my youngest son (that would have been July 1986).
7. Watching birds in the gardens. Not straining to see what they are, or using binoculars. Just watching them fly and sing and dig for worms.
8. Driving two-lane or one-lane roads, seeing people doing their daily routines--working in gardens, getting the mail, hanging laundry.
9. My soft white cotton nightgown that has holes in it but is so comfortable for sleeping.
10. Rocking chairs.
What's on your list?