Pages

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Flash 55: The Gift


Consignment wedding dress: seventy-five dollars.


The girl lifted it, held it against her.


“Can we?” Fairytale sequins and lace glistened.


He shook his head. “We won’t have enough money until Wednesday.”

A woman listened. “I’ll put twenty dollars towards it. A wedding gift.”


“He leaves for Iraq next week.”


Rewards outweigh money sometimes.


Flash 55 is flash fiction of 55 words, no more or less. See Mr. Know-It-All's blog for more. It was his big idea--and a good one, too.

Try it, I think you;'ll like it.

7 comments:

  1. I loved this 55 Granny Sue...
    Thanks for this fine contribution.
    Your participation is always welcomed and enjoyed.
    Thanks for playing, and have a Grand Week-End....G


    (Why did you delete your comment? Was your link askew?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. THis is lovely - short but poignant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a story!!!! It's great.

    Mine's posted too. As always, scroll down beyond my show n tell for Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was hard to find you. You need to open your profile so we can get here with some ease.
    It was worth the looking
    Great 55.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely. Flash fiction makes us eke the power out of every word. Love it.

    Jai

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh boy, what a hit at the end to such a sweet story...
    IS IT TRUE?
    I wouldn't be surprised if it was. I love the way you capture everyday 'little moments' and make us see how big they can be.

    I wanted to comment yesterday, but I'm pulling my hair out trying to stay online for more than two minutes at a time this week for some reason; so frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes it's a true story :-) Of course, since this is supposed to be flash fiction, I suppose I should say no, all made up?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...