Pages

Thursday, November 19, 2009

On the Road Again

I'm on the road storytelling in central West Virginia. I'll be back Friday night with, I hope some good photos to share of our trip.

No photos tonight, since I'm at my son's house and having a blast with his two children while Aaron and Jaime are out celebrating her birthday.

Here are a few things from today's storytelling to share:

*Preschoolers and first graders laughing incredibly at Lazy Jack, one of the first stories I learned to tell. I love going back to these tales and finding new discoveries in them. If you don't know the story: Jack's mother puts the lazy boy to work at a farm. He does well and gets paid every day, but each time through some foolishness manages to lose his pay. And yet in the end, Jack's the winner! You can read an English version of the story here; my telling is an Appalachian version. For a similar tale, click here to hear a podcast of Epaminondas.

*The look on children's faces after I told my story of "The Headless Woman of Briar Creek"--and then pointed out my husband in the corner who was the star of the story. They rushed to ask him, "Did you really see her?" Of course he said yes! (You can hear most of the story on Podcast 1 with me in the right sidebar on my blog.)

*Listening to the teachers at lunch. So many stories they can tell! Dedication was apparent in their stories.

*Seeing a 3rd grader put on the small cloth miner's cap in my coal-mining collection. It fit--obviously the cap had been worn by a very young boy , perhaps one who picked coal fr the slate piles or led mine horses.

*Laughing with the 5th grade when, to his evident surprise, a boy let loose with some very loud gas! What could I do? I said, "I heard that!" Laughed, then told him to say excuse me, instructed those around him to hold their noses for a bit, and on we went with the story. It was so funny; bathroom humor is always on the surface with this age group and ignoring the loud noise was not possible with this crowd. It was a good laugh.

*Seeing a little boy on the street with his dad after school, relating one of my stories and so animated, and seeing his dad's happy face as he listened to his son. That was the best part of the whole day.

Until right now, being here with James and Michaela and listening to their happy chatter about their day at school. Being a granny has many rewards!

13 comments:

  1. Oh, goodie. A storyteller. How exciting. I can't wait for more.

    Thursday Thirteen - My Drive to Work

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's my other life, and the one I love most, Nessa. I have to work my "real" job for insurance, but if I had my druthers, I'd be storytelling all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The boy telling his Dad a story was my favourite; wow! But I can't help wondering about the original owner of that cap now. (Making the child a miner or a minor? lol) Wow again.

    Have a good trip until you're safely home again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great day, you have such fun being a storyteller.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Granny Sue. :) Just wanted to congratulate you; I've just given you a One-Minute Writing of the Day award for your response to yesterday's writing prompt. Beautiful writing; thanks for participating!

    -C. Beth
    The One-Minute Writer

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love storytelling with small children. The joy on their faces and the thrill of their imagination makes the experience that much more electric.

    Glad to hear you're having such a good time.

    Jai

    ReplyDelete
  7. So good to hear that you are having such a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have wondered about the vap too, Susan. It's in poor condition and very old. Who wore it? What did he do at the mines? Is he still living? I guess we'll never know.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do have fun, Janet. But it can also be hard work. Today, for example, we started at 7:30am. I did 45 minute presentations for 6 classes with a 30 minute lunch an 10-minute breaks between groups. That's a lot of talking and singing! Add in keeping them listening and involved, dealing with any little issues that come up, selecting and mentally editing stories for each group as I went along, fending questions as well as I can (they have many!), and dealing with the TV guy who came to film a bit for the evening news, PA system announcements...it's multitasking for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Beth! I'll be right over to see your blog! What a nice surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jai, you hit it perfectly. The smiles on their faces fill my heart. I also like teaching them about our state and our culture as I tell stories. They don't realize they're learning something because we're having so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing the pleasures with us -- the son telling his father was the best part! I told some of the children Wednesday night to be sure and tell the stories to grandparents at Thanksgiving . . .
    Congratulations on the writing coup as well!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...