Pages

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

A Cat's Life

Ah, to sleep like a cat! A comfortable, cushioned chair, a warm fire, and people to provide food as needed. It would be right nice, wouldn't it? Actually, I love to watch these two together. For some months they were not friends--in fact Charley, the orange cat, could not stand the younger kitten, Clyde. As he matured she became more accepting and now they are friends. Not as good friends as Clyde and our black Lab Otis, however. We are pretty sure Clyde thinks he's a dog, the way he acts around Otis.

There is little  to report these days--it's back and forth to work, keeping warm and catching up with laundry. Boring stuff, really. The only excitement, if it can be called that, is that I am working on another final report for a grant from last year and that keeps me occupied til bedtime. I will be glad to have this done so I can move on to some more interesting projects.

One project I've just begun to play with is a program on carols--their history and creators, with some audience singalong on some of the carols. I've been doing a little research and found stories that were so interesting I started considering a program that could be offered next year during late November and December. A friend who sings and plays guitar is willing to work on it with me. Think it's worth pursuing? Would you attend such a program? I know I would, but would other people be interested? What do you think?

7 comments:

  1. Dear Granny Sue,

    My friend and producing partner Joe Doolittle tells the stories of the man who created "Jingle Bells" and how the story, then song, "Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer" came to be. They are both well received whenever I've heard him tell and people are more than ready to join in the singing of the carols.

    I tell the story of the Christmas truce in Dec. 1914 and end it by asking those present to join me in singing "Silent Night" to honor those who were part of that truce. My source for this story is the book by Weintraub, Stanley. "Silent Night: The Story of the World War I Christmas Truce." New York: The Free Press, 2001.

    Hugs,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tell my own version of the history of "Silent Night." In fact I'll be telling it in Bristol on Thursday, Jan. 6, at Beaver Creek Storytellers "Old Christmas" program. I've told it in the past and it is always well received. As one lady in Red Hats told me afterwards, "We should tell more stories like that." So good luck with your project; I think it's a great idea. Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that would make a very interesting programme, some of the carols have a very long history indeed and some are not quite the same now as they were when they started out - The Holly and the Ivy comes to mind here. Though its origin is maybe not one to be brought to the attention of the Bible Belt:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, I would definitely attend a program like that. I love to hear the origins of carols and I love to sing them. There is a perfect venue for this right by my house! I am going to have to find out how you can give a program there. The high school does a concert and it is very well attended (and not just by the family members). So, I say go for it! And I have some homework to do. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  5. I appreciate all the feedback! Kate, I think I have heard you tell the WWII Silent Night story and it's a stunner. I had not considered that one; I was looking at the actual origin of the story, but both would be good additions. And the Jingle Bells and Rudolph, definitely. I thought we'd provide handouts of the lyrics. Others on my list were The Cherry Tree Carol, Good King Wenceslas...forget the others. You have all inspired and encouraged me on this project. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Granny Sue,

    I've found that when I hand out lyrics, people stop looking up and rigidly look at the lyrics. It was very strange as I cast my eyes over my audience that I saw so few eyes.

    So I stopped doing that, and people join in when they know the words or when they hear me sing them.

    FYI

    Hugs, Kate

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now that's a good point, Kate. Maybe hand them out only when we start singing the song? Or at the end of the program? I'd want them to be able to sing with us. Of course, some songs will need no help because we all know them!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...