Pages

Friday, August 5, 2011

Cruising Down the River

I'm a Salt River roarer and a live coal eater, I'm half alligator and I ride tornaders.

Today I've been prepping for this weekend's Inland Waterways Festival at Marietta, Ohio. That's a quote from  Mike Fink, the Ohio River keelboatman and all 'round loud, wild, strong and unstoppable character of folklore. He'll figure in my stories tomorrow, along with Paul Bunyan (whose heel left the dent that became the Great Bend of the Ohio River at Ravenswood) and a few other critters and characters.

Only say that you'll be mine, and in no other arms entwine, down beside where the waters flow, down by the banks of the Ohio. 

Can't leave out this 19th century ballad either, a tale of murderous love and regret. So many good stories to tell, but I hope to find time for all of them.

Back to work now. Or is it back to play? Working on stories is as much fun as watching a good movie, and probably more relaxing for me.


And I can out-feather, out-jump, out-hop, out-ski, throw down and whup any man on the river.

That's Mike bragging again. 

Bye for now. Mike and I have some talking to do. That boy never did learn to behave.

2 comments:

  1. That first quote has all the unintelligible brilliance of a John Fogerty song, but then he also wrote about riverboats and them big wheels that keep on turnin'.
    Have a good weekend, Sue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Granny Sue,
    It has been a little while since you monetized your blog. How is it working out for you? I am thinking about doing the same on my "Natural World Through My Camera" but would like your comments about whether it is worth it or not.
    Thanks,
    Steve

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...