Pages

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

A Day of Baking and Cooking, and a Recipe

Today was one of those in-the-kitchen days. This coming weekend is fruitcake making with my sisters, and we also do a cookie swap so I needed to make cookies. I ended with three different kinds, and cooked dinner while I was at it. The pumpkins, cut up by Larry just before dark, will have to wait until tomorrow to be cooked down and put up. Right now, this granny is ready to be put up herself--on the couch, with her feet up!

I chose Chocolate Orange Shortbread and Italian Cookies to make for our swap, and then made a few brownie bites with Ghirardelli chocolate in the center. Good? Oh my yes. Of the three, the shortbread is my favorite--it's crisp, not too sweet and the blend of the two flavors is perfect. The Italian cookies are good too, very, very light and the glaze and sprinkles give them a festive touch. The brownie bites are delicious; maybe I was just sugared out after taste-testing all day.


I will share the recipes for the cookies tomorrow, but right now I wanted to share the recipe for what I made for dinner. It was delicious and even better, so easy. That scored high points with me today. And it was all in one pot too.

Here's the recipe:

About 2-3 cups cut-up, cooked chicken (or turkey)
One bag of egg noodles (or use your homemade ones)
1 package of frozen spinach, cooked and pressed to remove as much liquid as possible
1 pouch of onion soup mix (I try to always have this on hand for fast suppers)
1 small can of cut up mushrooms, or chop and saute fresh mushrooms (I keep canned mushrooms on hand for the same reason as the soup mix)
Corn starch for thickening
Water
Grated Parmesan cheese

Cook the noodles according to package directions; drain off most, but not all, of the cooking liquid (leave 1-2 cups in the pan). Add the cut up chicken, mushrooms, soup mix, and spinach. Heat to boiling. Mix about 3 tablespoons of corn starch with about 1/2 cup of warm water until dissolved; add to the other ingredients and cook to a boil. Cook one minute, until the liquid in the pot thickens. Remove from heat.

Serve immediately, sprinkling with the cheese if desired.

This makes enough for 6 people easily--for us, there are plenty of welcome leftovers.

My measurements are not exact but you can easily adjust them to suit your own taste.

Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...