Pages

Monday, May 5, 2014

In Blind Pig Country: Post 1, Overview

The trip we'd been planning for weeks finally became reality this weekend. We packed up Thursday evening and headed out, bound for Brasstown and Tipper Pressley's homeplace in the southwestern North Carolina mountains. Tipper, as most of my readers know, is the author of the blog Blind Pig and the Acorn, and we've been online friends for seven years. Now we'd meet in person, and I couldn't wait.

Our route took us across southwestern Virginia, then into Tennessee and finally North Carolina, with stunning scenery at every bend of the road. I swear, I could spend a year just taking photos of all the barns, houses and outbuildings, the mountains and rivers and green fields. I felt like I'd over-indulged in dessert.

We tarried in Abingdon a few minutes so I could take pictures of two old log cabins in the town. (Everything we saw made me say "Must come back to see more." So much to see, so little time!)

Here is a photo collage of some of what we saw and did on this trip. This week I will be posting about each in more detail:

In Abingdon, Virginia:

Nantahala Gorge:


Brasstown and the Possum Drop:


The Folk School:


Parade:


May Day:


Appalachian Celebration:


Kudzu Kickers:


Old Marines get together:


Telling tales:


Stay tuned!

Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

5 comments:

  1. Your photos make me want to see more of the Southern States of the US. I'd love to hear that Appalachian mountain music live. Looking forward to seeing and hearing more about your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I spy some Border Morris dancers lurking in photo #5 unless I'm very mistaken! Looking forward to seeing more photos of your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have no idea how disappointed I am that I wasn't there! I, too, am a huge fan of Tipper's -I'm hoping she'll do it again one day and maybe I'll get to see you when I'm in WV.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful that you were able to meet up with Tipper!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful place here and I'm sure you live in one just as beautiful. The Brasstown Community Center is where my hubby works. He's the yard clipper and Jack of all Trades. LOL. You come back really soon and we'll kick up our heels some.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...