Pages

Sunday, July 13, 2014

Traveling West Virginia: Johnny Shar's Big Dipper

While in Moundsville, WV earlier this week, we stopped in at an ice cream place I'd been to before. Not just any ice cream place, though! The exterior gives a hint at what's inside Johnny Shar's Big Dipper:



 Memorabilia of the circus and carnivals is the decor for the restaurant, and there is so much to see. Even if you only have one eye, like this weird creature standing in the roller coaster seats.



I haven't seen a bumper car in years. Larry said he rode in many a one of them in his younger days, but I think I only had the experience a couple times. I completely recall the fun of it though!



The front windows offer a view of the Grave Creek Mound, the largest Adena burial mound in West Virginia. Even though it was showering, visitors were making the trek to the top while I sat comfortably inside eating my double-dip cone.



Fun mirrors! We had some great laughs playing with these. There is a toy museum upstairs. I have not yet been up there but hope to do so on my next visit. Some places just need more than one visit to take it all in, you know?



The view in the opposite direction of the Mound is of the WV State Penitentiary, now a tourist attraction with daily tours and special programs. I visited there years back because my grandchildren wanted to go, but have no desire to go back. The place is just sad to me. All those wasted lives.



Lots to see here! If you want to go, just travel to Moundsville via WV State Route 2 or Ohio State Route 7 and follow the signs to the mound and penitentiary. Johnny Shar's is right across the street. Don't miss it!



Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

1 comment:

  1. What fun! Those mirrors are just the thing after you've eaten too much ice-cream!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...