Pages

Sunday, March 8, 2015

So, Where is Spring?

I think most of us are wondering when she'll make her appearance. Will she come sashaying in with a wave of heat and sun, or drag in drizzling and wet? Will we be snow-covered again, or is the old man of winter finally through with his bad moods?

I love to look back at past years to see how things were around the same date. And last year at this time, I was on my way to Utah and the Timpanogos Storytelling Conference. It was cold, icy, and snowy and the flights were delayed all over the place. Utah was full of sun and smiling faces and was surprisingly warmer than here at home.

In 2013, it was snowy too--and I was yearning for spring, just as I am this year.

The year before , guess what? Yes, snow was on the ground this same week and we were dealing with a broken pump in our well. I'd rather have a foot of snow any day than have that problem again.


In 2011 I was just two months from retiring, and yes indeed, we had snow that year too! This was the first year for the storytellers' retreat in Sistersville, an event we carried on for the next 3 years, but sadly this year it will not be in that charming town. I'm sure our new venue in Fairmont, WV will be more accessible for more people, but I did love the get-together at the Wells Inn and I will miss it. I remember that on my way home that year I stopped at a cemetery that I had wanted to see, and my footsteps in the snow in that quiet place.

So I will wait patiently for the daffodils and the sun and the seeding of lettuce. Patience has never been one of my virtues, however, so I might just find a way to get a jumpstart on the season yet!


Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...