Pages

Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Best Lemonade Ever (Revised)

REVISED! Duh, I forgot one important step: STRAIN IT AFTER PUTTING IT THROUGH THE BLENDER!! Geesh, some days I type faster than I think.

My husband loves lemonade. I buy fresh lemons and one or the other of us will squeeze them into a pitcher and make a batch every other day or so in the summer. We use a lot of lemons.

Larry got to thinking about how many lemons we use and how much of those lemons ends up in the trash can, and he decided to try an experiment.

He cut the lemons up into small pieces, leaving the rinds on them. He removed all the seeds and put the cut pieces into the blender. A minute or so on high, and those lemons were a smooth pulp. Then he strains it through a fine strainer (cheesecloth might work), sometimes twice to remove any bits that are too large.

Then he poured the pulp into a pitcher, added sugar to his taste and enough water to fill the pitcher, and here's the result--well, what's left! This stuff is delicious!

It tastes like the lemonade you'd buy as frozen concentrate, only better because it's fresh. I bet this is exactly what the juice companies do to make their juice.

The best part is all of the lemon except for the seeds is used.

Give it a try and see what you think.



Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

4 comments:

  1. I almost never buy whole lemons just because there is so much waste that it seems simpler to buy lemon juice instead. Never thought the peels would be edible! Great idea :)

    ReplyDelete

  2. I hope it works for you, Quinn! The only thing I wonder about is if it will work for all lemons, or if there are different varieties that might have more bitter peels? I guess we'll find out as we go, but what he's been making is really, really good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to try this. I love lemons. And anything with lemon in it. I esp like the zest/peel. This would work for me and would you believe that just reading this made my mouth water. How funny what words will do to us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to try this! thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...