Pages

Wednesday, February 15, 2017

I've Got the Yellows

I must be feeling like spring because lately I seem to have added a little bit of yellow to my life. I didn't notice it really until I painted this chair.


 
Yellow is my favorite color. To me it's a color of light and happiness, of spring and daffodils, coltsfoot and daisies. According to Dave's Garden, "In color therapy, yellow is a happy color. It is reported to relieve depression, improve memory, and stimulate the appetite. Color researchers believe that yellow increases self-esteem and strengthens overall health and well-being. The color is said to be mentally stimulating and to encourage communication. From cream to lemon to golden, from chartreuse to saffron, yellow is a common color, so it should come as no surprise that it is full of symbolism."



Yellow has its place in history and in superstitions--some good, and some not so much. In Chinese culture, "Yellow, corresponding with earth, is considered the most beautiful and prestigious color. The Chinese saying, Yellow generates Yin and Yang, implies that yellow is the center of everything. Associated with but ranked above brown, yellow signifies neutrality and good luck. Yellow is sometimes paired with red in place of gold. Yellow was the emperor's colour in Imperial China and is held as the symbolic color of the five legendary emperors of ancient China. Yellow often decorates royal palaces, altars and temples, and the color was used in the robes and attire of the emperors. Yellow also represents freedom from worldly cares and is thus esteemed in Buddhism. Monks' garments are yellow, as are elements of Buddhist temples. Yellow is also used as a mourning color for Chinese Buddhists." (from Wikipedia)



The ancient Chinese emperor Huangdi was called the Yellow Emperor because of his enlightened efforts to bring peace and harmony to his kingdom.

In some Hispanic cultures, wearing yellow underwear on New Year's Eve is believed to bring happiness and prosperity in the coming year.

Yellow does have some negative superstitions connected with it, however. Some believe yellow is the color of death; some fisherman do not want anything yellow on their boats and rodeo people believe it's bad luck to wear yellow in the ring. The same goes for theater people--yellow apparently once was the color worn in medieval plays  by those representing the Devil.  My English mother used to say that yellow roses meant sadness, and there are some superstitions that yellow equals death. In Russia yellow flowers mean unfaithfulness so it's not a good idea to give them to your sweetheart.



Even with these not-so-good beliefs about the color, yellow to me will always be the color of sunshine, happiness, peace and joy. It will always be my favorite color. I mean, who could resist that happy little yellow bird anyway?



Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

4 comments:

  1. I also like the color yellow. So bright and cheerful. Love that chair!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I rarely like anything yellow, with the exception of daffodils, smiley faces 😊😊, and lights that stay that color instead of turning red as I' whizzing under them. I enjoyed this post, I had not heard of most of it. Always interesting here Granny Sue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too adore yellow - I painted the dining room chairs yellow - the rest of the dining room furniture is white - and yellow flowered knobs on the china cabinet. I once had a dining room paper is softly striped yellow flowered wall paper - it was my favorite room of all time - too bad when we moved we couldn't bring it with us. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yellow is one of my favorite colors. It feels like sunshine, even when the world is at its gloomiest.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...