Pages

Thursday, September 7, 2017

Worry, Worry, Worry

Such weather as we are having! Not here at home, where the days are perfect this week, with clear crisp air and temps in the 60's and 70's. But elsewhere...

Especially Florida. That's where my youngest son is, with his new family. In Miami. And that hurricane barreling right toward them. I know there are millions of people there, not just my beloveds, but that doesn't lessen the worry. They have decided to ride it out in their older, sturdy, seen-a-lot-of-hurricane-and-storms apartment building. Most of their neighbors are staying too. They are as prepared as they can be. I suppose Floridians have always buttoned down and weathered through. I try to keep that in mind. I suppose most of us also have several friends in Florida, and I know I am not alone in my worrying.

Then there is the Northwest, with fires burning everywhere. The smoke is so thick even miles from the fire that people have trouble breathing. Jo Ann, you are on my mind these days, and Brig, you too. And Kimberley. And Batsy. And Bob and Heidi and so many others.

And Houston and the Texans trying to recoup from the last hurricane. And those poor poor souls in India with the incredible flooding and thousands of deaths.

On top of all this, we must add the North Korea mess, the plight of the DACA recipients...and on and on.

So I am trying to stay busy, to keep my mind from dwelling on all of these natural and manmade disasters. It's how I deal with stress. I can do some things, like send money to Houston, flashlights and phone backup power supply to my son, sign petitions, pray, and stay informed.

Meanwhile, there are apples. Lots of apples. So yesterday was applesauce and cider. And there are performances to prepare for, stories from Germany and Celtic heritage and right here at home. There is furniture to repair and paint, totes to sort and price, and all the ordinary tasks of keeping house.

In the end, it is the normal, everyday things that keep me grounded and keep me hopeful and moving ahead. That, and prayer. A lot of prayer.


Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

4 comments:

  1. You're so right about ordinary tasks keeping anxiety at bay. Bad news from all over, including desperate sudden medical situation of a local friend. All we can do is so little, but we need to just do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rough times we're going through. Hope your son and his family stay safe.
    Our daughter lives in Japan and I worry about her and that idiot in N. Korea.
    Meanwhile we're preparing in case Irma comes a knocking on the door here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such weather problems - I do hope that Irma swings around and goes out to sea - but doesn't look likely. I don't know how the fires are doing out here in the west - but we finally had a decent rain - well over half an inch - could use a lot more, but it is a relief, the smoke has cleared in our area and we don't feel so much like a tinder box. I think we are easing into our autumn rains - guess I'd better get out the autumn decorations soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Again, so glad they go out when they did. (Yes, I am reading backwards.)
    Sounds like you and I are on the same page as regards coping with all the disasters, natural and manmade. These are interesting times...

    =)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...