Pages

Sunday, October 22, 2017

The Wild Weeks of October

I think I finally have time again to write! The past few weeks have been a wild ride but this week, oddly enough life slows down a bit. You would think a teller of ghost tales would be booked solid this week, but the only booking so far is for Saturday evening. Which, honestly, is fine with me. I've had a blast but I am ready for a little break.

A few photos from where I've been. Not many because I was traveling solo most of the time, i.e. doing all the driving, which limits picture-taking opportunities.

At the West Virginia Storytelling Festival with storyteller/poet Marc Harshman and storytellers Ilene Evans and Adam Booth.


We were blessed with a beautiful rainbow while at Cedar Lakes. Photo taken by Adam Booth.



With the Braxton County CEOS group at their county meeting, telling stories as guest speaker.




 With one of the CEOS members, who is 100 years old.



I spent a full day at this high school, sharing ghost stories and ballads. The students were excellent, well-mannered and respectful, and best of all--good listeners!


More ghost stories at the Philippi (WV) library, a town with a double covered bridge and much history.



I visited this supposedly haunted church, far back in the country. A beautiful place with a history that I am researching. So many Irish natives buried here!


The annual ghost walk was last weekend and had fantastic attendance and weather. It gets better every year!


Along the ghost walk. 



Driving, driving, driving. Over 500 miles in the past week. Which is funny, because I used to drive that much every week going to my job in Charleston!


But this driving is different--so beautiful, taking me into the countryside, to remote places, small towns and welcoming people.


And finally, last night at the Vintage Theater in Clarksburg, WV, as guest speaker for a local writing contest. There were some good, creepy stories to be heard!


Mixed in with the storytelling were trips to our booths to straighten up and add new items, and painting a few things to take in.



The chairs and table base were already painted; we made a new top for the table and gave it a distressed white finish.


That's where I've been, and now I will be able to get back to our trip to Ireland and the stories we found along the way.


Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are busy and spreading the word with great storytelling. Glad to hear the high school students were respectful. A rarity these days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The high school kids were great! We had a fantastic time. And you know, spreading the storytelling word is so rewarding. So many people need to remember that this was the original form of entertainment and education, the way we preserved our history and passed on our morals and culture. That's so often forgotten in the rush of our life today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful news that you are back out there story telling, and in such interesting places.

    ReplyDelete
  4. High school Kids are fantastic. I don't substitute much but when I do-fantastic! i try to end the class With one of my own ghost stories!! They love it! Thank YOU for doing this!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...