Pages

Tuesday, May 8, 2018

Who Broke the Bed?

A story on Riverview Cottage's blog about her bed reminded me of this incident a few years ago.

My new old bed, 2012 photo

Larry and I found a nice old antique bed at a yard sale, but when we set it up it was soooo out of level. Larry blamed the house--I mean, everything is out of level in this house my first hubby and I built from a drawing I did on graph paper when I was 23. You can only expect so much from two people who know diddlysquat about building, and it has stood the test of time in most ways--just don't set a marble down on the floor.

So to level up the bed, Larry got some wood blocks and jacked the base up level, his way of fixing it. I didn't like it, but short of fixing it myself there was little I could do. So the blocks stayed and I can't tell you how many times I stubbed my toe on them. But peace in the household is important, right? Well, I can't say I kept quiet about the throbbing toe, but the blocks stayed.

Fruitcake day this past year, at my house again.
Then one year five of my sisters came for our annual fruitcake baking day and I put two of sisters in our bedroom while I slept on a couch, and Larry stayed with one of our sons. About 4am, those two were up; one has horses and was a nurse and is used to getting up really early, and the other needed a smoke. They were out on the deck chattering away on that cold December morning, and of course that woke me up. Playing oldest sister, I sent them back to bed.

They laid down again, but we were all giggling and the two of them were whispering back and forth when suddenly the bed slipped off the blocks with a THUD! There was dead quiet in the room.  Then the slats came out from under the box spring and there was another crash. And silence again for a second or two.

Then a whispered, "We broke Sue's bed."

"You broke it, I didn't!"

"Hey, I didn't break it!"

"Who broke my bed?" I hollered.

By then everyone in the house was awake and we were all laughing so hard it was impossible to go back to sleep. We put the bed back together, set it back up on the blocks, and adjourned to the kitchen, still wiping the laughter tears from our eyes.

A few months later I was cleaning the bedroom and moved the bed away from the wall. I'd done this several times but this time I noticed something---there were wheels on the headboard, but not on the footboard! That's why the bed wasn't level. We found a couple casters the right size and voila! A level bed. And no more stubbed toes.


Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

8 comments:

  1. Good story. We broke our bed on our wedding night. No we weren't that carried away, the slats were cut too short.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! I had an antique bed that would fall apart several times a week, and my floors are like yours! All the cat toys roll into one corner lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is hilarious! I remember quite a few broken beds when I was growing up. I don't know why they only seemed to break when company was in them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey thanks for the link to my post. I had to read this to the husband to prove I was actually sane and these things happen to others too. Cracked up when your slats started slipping and the whole thing came down! Love your stories always. r/sharon

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny story all around. Glad you discovered the castor situation. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great story! I am actually curious about your fruitcake making! My grandparents and aunt/uncles all came from Scotland -a country which is terribly fond of any bread, cookie, or scone that contains currents, raisins and various other types of dried fruit. I vividly remember Christmas mornings with a fruitcake under the tree, wrapped in aluminum foil and tied with ribbon--a gift from my great aunt. My great aunt (from Scotland) and my mother (not Scottish - but from a small Pennsylvania mountain town), used to get together every late November/early December and make fruitcakes together. (I think they used the same type of ceramic bowls that are in your picture to mix the batter, which my aunt always insisted had to be done using your hand - not a mixer or spoon.) This was, of course, during the days before Martha Stewart and HGTV and parchment paper was not something you could find at your local A&P. My great aunt (having been born in Scotland at the turn of the last century) and my mother (a child of the depression) would save A&P brown paper grocery bags for a couple of months. On the day of the great fruitcake bake, they would cut and oil/butter the brown paper grocery bags and line the bread pans with them. Voila! Homemade parchment paper. And, the fruitcake was pretty good. Although I will admit I like it much more as an adult than I did as a child. Nothing is better with a good cup of black coffee.

    Thank you for your wonderful picture. It brought back some lovely memories!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great tale of the off kilter bed.
    We had a water bed for a time and I hated that thing, hard to make, and if one sat down too hard on one side, out the other side the other person would fly. The Cowman seemed to forget that fact a lot, so it was a good thing that I'm an early riser...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved my waterbed. Had it for 20 years or more. Gave it up so hubby good sleep better. And we both do well nowadays.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...