Pages

Thursday, June 4, 2020

Covid Journal, Day 82: That Estate Sale

73 this morning, hot and humid all day, until a strong thunderstorm this evening that cooled things down. We'd finished mulching the garden so the storm should not have hurt the plants, although they may need some more fertilizing to replace what might have washed away.

I mentioned the estate we bought--well, we didn't buy all of it, but a goodly portion. Here's some of what we bought:

First, this lovely china. This is Crown Staffordshire, in the pattern Lyric Tunis.There are a lot of pieces, which I am still unwrapping.


I was surprised by this blue and white teapot. I mean it's pretty, but when I researched it I was stunned to find it's worth between $200-300. It still has a price label of $275 on the bottom. There is a matching cake stand and half a dozen or more pieces to go with this. Meissen china from Germany.



Crystal! Oh how I love it!  There is Waterford from Ireland, and Lenox and Gorham in this mix.



I really love these cranberry cut-to-clear goblets by Imperlux. They're quite large at 8" tall.


Still unwrapping...

The lady had a lot of silverplate too. And those tall lanterns on the right are called peg oil lamp candlesticks. I'd never seen any before. One of these is broken, sadly, but still so elegant.


The domed dish is a bacon server, bought in London for over 300 pounds many years ago. It's value is less today. By Adkin Brothers, Sheffield silversmiths. The other piece is a small hearth set, probably from the 70s but sill pretty cool.


More silverplate...and a pretty ginger jar lamp.


The lady liked to do needlepoint. I bought several pieces along with 2 quilts and a lot of lovely linens.


One of two desks. This one has very ornate veneer which is damaged in several places. I plan to sell it as is, in hopes a woodsmith will buy and repair it.


I love these chairs--they're near perfect.


A tilt teapot. How neat is that!


We brought home several other pieces of furniture besides the desks--an old, small secretary, gateleg table with 4 chairs, 2 nice end tables, a small occasional table, an unusual dressing table,

and these two beautiful wingback chairs which are already at the antique mall. I'd keep them in a minute if I had any space for them.

Image may contain: 1 person, sitting and indoor

Image may contain: people sitting and indoor

That's most of what we bought. I'll try to show more in future posts.


Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful items. love the teapot...love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness what treasures! I love it all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always enjoy your posts like this - and you certainly got some treasures in the estate sale! I love that tilting teapot. Is one supposed to put something under it to keep it warm? I was going to say a candle, but that wouldn't throw much heat, would it? Now I'm really curious.
    Did I ever mention that when I used to go to the coast of Maine I would sometimes stop at the Waterford store in Kittery? It was like stepping inside a crystal prism - light dancing off surfaces from countless directions. I was sometimes tempted to buy a couple of the simpler-style goblets but knowing my tendency to knock things off tables, I held off and just enjoyed the visit like a trip to a museum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a wonderful collection you have acquired there. The teapot and cake stand are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...