Pages

Wednesday, January 19, 2022

Cooking Up a Storm

28 this morning, but warmer now and the snow is melting. Rain and snow expected later today and tonight.

Being home all the time these days means I have more time to cook--which I enjoy doing anyway.

This morning, I made sausage gravy and biscuits for the first time in well over a year, and possibly 2 years. I can't remember the last time I made it. I'd cooked sausage for breakfast yesterday, and since there was all that leftover grease, I crumbled some of the leftover sausage in it and proceeded to make the gravy, which I then saved for this morning.

Which meant I had to make biscuits too. They are the easiest things to make, I think--self-rising flour with a little butter cut in, sour milk or buttermilk added, mixed lightly, patted out on a floured board--I use a cookie sheet which reduces the floury mess and makes for easier cleanup. Then cut and bake at 400 for about 15 minutes. They came out beautifully. 




Yesterday's soup came our nicely. I pureed it in the food processor when it was done, and I swear I like it better this way. I will do this more often. 




The pureed soup will freeze nicely, too, which is good since we had a lot left over. We'll have it again today, then I'll freeze the remainder for another day. Having ready-made meals in the freezer and cellar is so helpful when we've been our or just really busy all day.

I made some corn muffins to go with the soup, so now we have leftover muffins too--and leftover biscuits. The biscuits will make a nice topping for a turkey pot pie I'll make tomorrow. 


How about you? Are you cooking more than usual this winter? Seems like I always do in winter months, because I have more time inside to do so.



Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

3 comments:

  1. Well, I did clean out our freezers, so I have an idea of what I need to cook. But I can't say I've been cooking any more or any less--just what I need to get by. And if I can make enough to freeze for later, even better. Like I told David--cook once, eat twice--or more, depending on what I made!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The biscuits and corn muffins sound great. We've been eating lots of homemade soups and bread. Love that kind of food in the cooler rainy weather. Comfort food for the soul.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I cook every other day, either a bread or soup or stew...and then stash its leftovers. It gives me more choices for each meal!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...