Pages

Monday, January 30, 2023

Kitchen Time

43, heavy fog and then overcast all day. 


I didn't think a day could be grayer than yesterday, but then there was today. And now, surprise surprise, a misty rain is moving in.

But inside all is bright and busy. I decided to make a chunky apple sauce with some apples that were getting pretty wrinkly, to go over French toast. Some days we get occupied with things and breakfast waits until it's brunch instead. Which works fine for us.




I hadn't made a new batch of granola in a while, so that was next on my list. I use my variation of my oldest son's recipe, which has oats, pumpkin seeds,  chia seeds, sunflower seeds, almonds, pecans, coconut,  honey, cinnamon, maple syrup, and a little oil. It is delicious.


The rest of today was devoted to ebay and painting. I have three or 4 projects going, the largest being this dressing table. It will be trimmed in off-white.  It has a large round mirror and a stool, very pretty. Or will be when it is finished. Bad veneer issues dictated the decision to paint this one. I finished the matching dresser a couple weeks ago, and still have the bed to do.


Buddy would love to help!


More crocus bulbs came today, so tomorrow I will be planting them since our soil is nowhere near frozen. Bulbs are pushing upnalready and ibwant to check on the heliobores to see if any blooms might be on the way. I ordered lily roots today because they are 83% off, so if even one makes it I will at least be even cost wise. 

Like many people, I am avoiding the news these days, and am thankful we have no TV to show us the dreadful images from Memphis. I cannot stomach such horror. Instead, I send up prayers for the poor families affected. Even those policemen have families whose lives are now probably drastically changed for the worse.  

So I listen to music, talk to my family and friends, mess about in the kitchen, and dream of gardens. At almost 72, I find myself seeking peace, serenity, and joy to fill my days. It is not lack of caring, because I do, deeply. But don't some of us have to maintain the even keel? Or is that a cop-out? (And even typing that three-letter word makes me queasy.)

Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

5 comments:

  1. Buddy is cute and ready to help. Police violence is way out of hand these days. Love the foggy photo, it's a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't trust my eyes much these days. I read the above comment, and went looking for a froggy photo. Geese. Me too, I was all into news until the last election and the fiasco in the House. I actually record the news and scroll through it, hopeing some story would be of interest. Not much these days. Yes we need to keep the status-quo statused!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think many of us are so burned out with political drama. And depressed by continued police violence. So we go into our safe places to heal ourselves, and will re-emerge ready to face it all again when necessary.

      Delete
  3. I am 54 and seek peace for my days. I will retire from teaching at the end of this calendar year and I cannot wait. The job has changed so much since I first started. I am planning my garden and waiting the arrival of spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think about teachers often, and feel such sadness and concern for all of you. You are right, the profession has changed and not for the better, sadly. I am glad you have retirement to look forward to! I highly recommend it!

      Delete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...