Pages

Sunday, January 29, 2023

Pantry Raid

44 this morning, raining again and heavy overcast. Not cold but so damp. More rain expected tonight and tomorrow.  Sigh. I know we will beg for this rain in the summer , but right now I just wish it would snow. The mud us intense. One friend who has a farm posted that when people ask her what kind of farm she has, she says, "Mud. I have a mud farm."

Another dreary day means more inside work. Which is actually fine, as we have much to do. Today I sorted out the totes we brought back from our booths Friday, deciding what to keep and what to send down the line. Once sorted, then there is the decision as to which place to take each tote. I ended up with 6 totes full, which will do us for about a month.

Then there are furniture projects. Right now I am working on a dressing table, while Larry is refurbishing a kitchen table. Waiting on me is an occasional table and a dining set, while Larry has a hall stand to build. I also have to stain the door he made for a very cool old icebox I found back in the fall. That one should look awesome when we're done.

Other house work today included making blackberry jam from frozen berries, and now I have spaghetti sauce simmering. 




This sauce really uses a lot of our homegrown or harvested supplies: onion, garlic, Italian herb mix, whole tomatoes and pasta sauce, dried peppers, frozen chicken of the woods mushrooms, and ground venison.  I could have used my frozen celery too but had some fresh that needed used up. 

I am baking a cake too, something I haven't done since summer. This is just a yellow cake, but I will spread strawberry jam in tbe center and chocolate icing on top. So more things out of the pantry used up, which is good. The jam used up my stockpile of sugar and pectin so there is a little more space in the big pantry cupboard.

I was supposed to attend two writing workshops this weekend, but yesterday had a flat tire and by the time it was fixed it was too late to go. I didn't feel great anyway, and felt worse as the day went on. Today I didn't feel well either, but finally realized that I was dehydrated again. I do forget to drink much if I am not hot, which causes me to feel all kinds of bad. Wouldn't you think by my age I would remember such a simple thing? So lots of water today and I am finally feeling like myself again.  

Time to finish up the spaghetti for dinner! 

Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

6 comments:

  1. Don't have to worry about staying busy, you have the master plan. :) Hydration can be a problem for me too. If I'm not thirsty I forget to drink some water until a cramp will remind me. I do better now that I have water beside me all day and if it's cold, I drink warm water. The cake sounds good. Enjoy your evening and hope you feel better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got some good sleep, drank lots of water and feel like me again. Thank goodness!

      Delete
  2. What wonderful aromas must your kitchen put forth! I enjoy imagining them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right! The smells alone are worth cooking, lol!

      Delete
  3. I thought of=f university residence and boys discussing panty raids. I think it was all talk. At least I never remember any actually taking place. Maybe I wasn’t invited. Who knows? 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! I wondered about that when I wrote the title. I am sure some visitors were disappointed that it was just some old lady talking about cooking. But maybe they thought it was in code?

      Delete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...