Pages

Thursday, August 13, 2026

Aftermath

66°f/19°C, mostly sunny. What a nice change!

We didn't escape the storms completely unscathed. This tree seems to have been hit by lightning, as it was split right down its side, then I guess the lightning exited near the base, and broke it enough to fall across the driveway.


We were on our way out, so Larry got the chainsaw and cut it up, and we dragged the pieces out of the way. It will make good firewood this winter. On the way home another tree had fallen across the ridge road, but we were able to get around it. We got the saw, went back and cut that one out of the way too. 

We saw several places along the road where neighbors had had to do the same thing, but fortunately no homes were hurt. The water did get pretty high, but no flooded houses on our road, thank goodness. These photos were taken by a neighbor.




It was a close call; on more storm would have caused damage like that in Roseville and Crooksville, Ohio. We have been to Roseville several times. It's the historic home of the beautiful Roseville pottery. I hope those buildings were not hurt as I think there are some that are still standing.

It is odd how such weather affects us, or at least me. Perhaps you are the same: I find myself unable to focus or get involved in any project. It's like I am waiting for the other shoe to drop; if I try to read, I find myself glancing up repeatedly to look outside, then re-reading the same passages several times over. I feel unsettled and on edge, and it takes a while after things return to normal for me to regain my usual calm self.

So I decided to price stuff for the booths, which while it takes some concentration,  it does so in short spurts because most of the work is simple--clean the item if needed, write the tag, wrap it up. Concentration is needed only for those things that require research. This sweet embroidered tablecloth was in the "to be priced" pile, but I decided it should go on ebay 



This rose bravely bloomed after the storms. Such a beauty, and so far still hanging in there. The heavy rain and winds beat down most of my flowers. 


Today Derek came over to help Larry load up his mower to take to the shop, again. I was so grateful as last Spring I had to help load that thing and it aboyt killed me it was so heavy. I started painting a little cabinet, and made a tomato rice soup that is downright yummy, just brown rice, diced kielbasa, sliced carrots from the garden, and a jar of our salsa, topped with Mexican blend grated cheese.

A friend shared this. Do you think it will hold true? 


And a few funnies I have seen lately:



My cousins took this photo while they were traveling somewhere out West:


Rain and thunderstorms are expected to return tonight, so better laugh while we can!



Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

6 comments:

  1. Date we hope that will it for that sort of weather.?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad no houses were damaged by the falling trees. That’s a lot of water

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a lot of water...I am glad that no one got hurt. Finger crossed with the storm tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish you as little rain with consequences as possible, Wishing you a wonderful Friday, Andreja!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like the calm after the storm. So many trees down!! I hope the night doesn't bring more of the same.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope your extremes calm down. Too much excitement is very wearing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.