Pages

Saturday, September 5, 2026

An Evening Drive

44°f /6.7°C here in Colorado this morning. Brrr! But clear and sunny. At home, 74°f and stormy. 

We went for a drive the other evening to see the sunset, and what a drive it was! Sarah suggested going to the top of Bald Mountain via Baldy Road.
I'm game for anything so off we went. Larry wasn't quite as keen but went along.

Bald Mountain is at 13, 690 feet elevation, and the road is rough, basically a crawl over rocks and large gravel, deep gullies and switchbacks so deep Sarah had to back up and get a better angle to make the turns.

Our destination up ahead.


There were many reminders of the gold-mining history of the area along the way. We saw quite a few diggings along this road. I wonder if they found anything? I guess they must have because otherwise this building would not have been constructed. Imagine the difficulty of hauling materials up here back in the early 1900's!
 




The road ahead.


It's about a 10-mile trek, but took almost an hour. Here you can see more mining buildings below Sarah.

And finally almost to the top.


This is the weather station atop Bald Mountain.


Such views!


Way down there, to the left of the lefthand lake, is Sarah's house and the town of Breckenridge. 


There goes old Sol.





A flock of ptarmigans were not at all concerned about our presence, and just barely got out of the road. 


It was an amazing trip, a bit (!) bumpy but well worth it. I wonder if I will ever be anywhere at such high altitude again?




Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

7 comments:

  1. What amazing views and beautiful skies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is definitely a memory to keep precious. I was more worried about y'all coming down the mountain in the dark...that doesn't really look like much of a road!

      Delete
  2. I'm with Larry. I wouldn't have been crazy about that road. But the views were worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those views are breathtakingly beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's some seriously high elevation! Beautiful photos, and I love the views.

    ReplyDelete
  5. An adventure..but what a view!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a sunset to remember.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.