Pages

▼

Wednesday, October 7, 2026

All is Well

52°f/11°C, clear and sunny. Another gorgeous fall day on tap!

Well, the well is fixed. Thank goodness. Mr. Kay, the well man, came as promised. At first it sounded dire---he was afraid our pump had burned up. Pulling out a pump that is 730 feet down a narrow hole is a huge job. We had to do it once before, and it took days and many, many dollars to replace that pump. I cringe to think what it would cost today.

The problem was a water leak. We knew we had a small leak. Larry tried several times to fix it, and we contacted several plumbers, but none would come out to fix it. I guess that leak suddenly got much worse, splitting the pipe underground.  But we are all good now, and I was happy to have to pay only $325 for the repair. Whew. 

Barb, we did have water on hand. We keep about 10 gallons in the cellar, plus the Berkey water filter holds a gallon or more, and we had a couple buckets of rain water on the deck, so we managed to get through the day pretty well. But my shower this morning sure felt good!

Other good news is that Sarah is doing well, just very tired ftom physical therapy and of course healing. Her Mom messaged me this morning with an update, and thinks Sarah may go home today to continue her recovery.

Poor Larry had to miss the open mic to help the well guy, and wouldn't you know it was one of the best yet! Such a range of talent, and several newcomers, like a guy who played ragtime guitar, a young man who sang a few songs, and the most amazing jug band guy who showed up with a wild contraption and brought down the house. I have a video of him, but before I can pist it i need to figure out how to blur faces, because I caught a couple children in the video and don't want to pist their faces.




It was an absolute blast, and I was exhausted when I got home, but exhilarated too. I told the story of Wicked Jack, one of my favorites and perfect for this time of year. Here is a link to a version of the same tale.  I have never recorded it myself, but i wish I had thought to have someone do so last night. Oh well.

6 comments:

  1. We have a mighty deep well too and a few years ago the pump was replaceh. Having a well, well is great thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad your well problem ended up on a good note. Good to know Sarah is doing well also. That mic night sounds like a great evening. Thanks for sharing the video.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad the well fix wasn’t worse! Isn’t it always something or another! Took my Grandkids to the orchard today and it was very expensive! Good time though. Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad the well is fixed and it wasn't the pump. Enjoyed that video.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had to replace the well pump a couple of decades ago. It was very expensive. Thankfully you didn't have to face it again.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.