70°f/21°C, light clouds and a little shower early on. We need the rain. Had a nice little downpour yesterday as well.
I am going to try to link up with
Sherry's Pickings with this post, a review of the past month in my kitchen. Some of you have seen some of these before, but here goes.
Kitchen window with herbs hung to dry.
My little 1930s spice rack. I had the jars for a while, then a few years ago found the perfect rack for them.
A gallon of ast year's cider. I guess we won't be making any this year, as we have no more apples and no pears. So sad!
My Sellers cabinet. Such a useful piece of furniture! Mine does not have the sifter, but i use the left side, where the sifter would have been, to store my cookbooks. It also holds some of our canned foids for easy access, my cookie sheets, toolbag, other baking pans, and the drawers hold a miscellaneous of cooking tools and gadgets
I just got this! It's a puntarelle, and is just awesome for cutting potatoes and squash. It's very sharp. I learned about it on a Giovanni Siracusa video.
Kitchen table, after dark.
Photo from the other day of apples from our trees.
We only got a little over half a bushel this year due to frost.
Larry turning the crank on the Victorio, making applesauce.
Indian corn and pumpkins drying.
Stringing chili peppers on the porch.
Mincemeat tarts and another quiche, this one vegetable-laden: peppers, onions, squash, kale, chard, tomatoes, and basil!
A photo from 45 years ago, at least, in the days before we had electricity: my Dad and 3 of my 4 boys. Notice the lamps on the table, the full canning jars, and the pie on the table. Oh, and the Fenton vase! So long ago...
My trusty Tappan stove, as old as I am and one hard worker.
One of several recipes I made from Giovanni Siracusa's videos this month. This one is zucchini and onions sauteed in olive oil, then a little water added, blend half the mixture, add pasta and more water, salt and pepper, cook til the pasta is done and the mixture is thick and creamy, then stir in parmesan. So good!
One of the quiches I made this month.
Dried tomatoes used up a lot of tomatoes when we were overrun with them.
Elderberry jelly, made using a half cup of white wine in place of some of the Elderberry juice.
Grape juice, not as much as most years but so delicious.
Not in my kitchen, but in our booth, a dinette set that took just 2 days to sell. Yay!
Also in the booth, two sweet teapots. It's hard for me to part with teapots!
Chocolate zucchini bread, batch 1. I made several batches and gave away or froze them. Tastes like brownies with a hint of cinnamon. Just incredibly good.
This month's tea set. I make tea every morning, carrying my tray to the porch or the log room.
One dinner this month, featuring that
zucchini pasta, cucumbers in a dill sauce, and ham.
There was much more this month because August is a very busy canning and food preservation month, but I guess I didn't take photos of most of it.
Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.