Pages

Tuesday, August 25, 2026

Still Catching Up

53°f/13.7°C, clear and dry. 

The last three days have been all about weeds---getting them cut, that is. Both of us have been at it for hours each day and I can finally feel like we are getting caught up. I guess the area we maintain is about 3 acres, and then another 5 acres or so that Larry brushhogs that used to be meadow and pasture. Without the riding mower, it means a lot more work, trimming edges the mower would have cut so that the rest can be done with the tractor. As you can imagine, Larry can't wait to get his mower back!

Then there are my gardens, which I prefer to trim myself because that way if something gets cut accidentally,  I have no one to blame but myself. I still have a little more to do in the vegetable garden. Most of the plants are done bearing, so I cut those down, then trimmed as well as I could around the ones I want to keep going. It was fun to find surprise tomatoes on the volunteer plants, and to see how the zucchini has rooted itself here and there, producing new plants that are going strong even though the original plant is pretty much dead. We still have kale, leeks, chard, zucchini, yellow squash, peppers, a few tomatoes, butternut squash, pumpkins, basil and rainbow corn in the veggie garden, and lots of herbs still thriving in the herb garden.

I have more trimming and tidying up to do in the gardens tomorrow; today I put netting over some plants to protect them from deer, and I have a few more still to cover. In Fall, the deer just don't seem to care if they get shocked by the fence; they will still get in and eat whatever they can.

Yesterday afternoon I began getting out the fall totes  in preparation for taking them to the booths. While I was at it, I put a few decorations out on the porch.


This weird little guy was a thrift find last week. He's motion activated and says things in a creepy voice. Larry loves it! But me, not so much, so he will go to a booth.


I made another quiche yesterday since I had plenty of eggs on hand. This one has onions, peppers, yellow squash, kale, chard, tomato, and basil in it. I sautéed the onions, pepper, squash and basil, and cooked the chard and kale together, then drained well and squeezed out as much liquid as I could. I also put a quarter cup of oats in the bottom of the piecrust to absorb extra liquid, and it worked beautifully once again. I added about a cup of grated cheddar too, because what is quiche without cheese? It was so delicious. 


I had enough piecrust to make a dozen mincemeat tarts too, as I am still trying to use up as much mincemeat as I can. 


A friend and her boyfriend stopped by in the evening. Neither of them had ever had quiche or mincemeat, but they liked both, and took a jar of mincemeat home with them.

After our outside work this morning, we went into town to take the dinette set we sold to its new owner. Afterwards we stopped at Shari's for a late lunch/early supper and visited with our friend Bill for a bit. Then we went to the store to buy some clothes for our trip. I can't remember when we last went clothes shopping! It was kind of fun to see what's in style these days. I admit, I do not like buying clothes, and never try them on. I will find out tomorrow what fits and what has to go back. Larry tried on pants to be sure they fit, a wiser person than I am!

The world is mourning Dolly Parton this evening. She was much loved and leaves a fine legacy of music and generosity. I never liked her obsession with appearance, but her singing was unique and unmistakable, and her passing leaves a huge hole in the heart of country music.



Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.