One of today's projects: getting this thing ready for our Halloween display window at the antique mall.
My poor pup Pip does not like it at all and just barks and barks. Inspiration came from the nice velvet cloak, found at Goodwill for $3.99. I used the same mannequin frame as last year. I have dubbedd it Grimm, because i am not sure if it's male or female. The odd horsehead thingy beside it, got at auction for $1 because it has a repair, I have decided is its Grimm's familiar. So these two things, a few pumpkins, some black gauzy fabric, a lamp, some little lights and I think that will be the window. I hope.
This was last year's mannequin:
We added a red wig later. She was quite a hit at the store. We named her Miranda. Her dress was also an auction find, also $1.
I forgot to check the temperature this morning, but it's been in the 70's all day, with high humidity after another very stormy night and morning. More flooding, unfortunately, this time getting into some homes and businesses. This was in Sandyville, not far from us, this morning:
It has been an odd few days. Saturday I thought we had auction pickup, so off we went. Then about 10 miles from home I realized the pickup was Sunday! They never do that, always have it on Friday or Saturday. Since we were out and had no other plans, I said, "Let's go get a TV." We have been meaning to do that since Larry broke ours back in January, just never took the time. So off we went to Wally World and after some dithering I picked a 4e" Samsung---the size because of our limited space, the brand because it's the same as our phones and I thought that might make it easier to set up.
It turns out I was right. I unpacked and set it up all by myself in less than an hour. I was so pleased with myself, because last time my oldest son helped me and it took several hours and many headaches to get the thing working. I ween got the DVD player working. So that's one thing off the to-do list.
Yesterday was taken up with picking up our wins at the auction; nothing too great this time except an exceptionally fine Ka-Bar military knife from World War II,
and 150 antique Christmas and Valentine's day post cards. We had a late breakfast and took our time since there was still a lot of water on the roads. Nothing dangerous, but who wants to hydroplane?
I had planned to can some peaches on Sunday I had picked up Friday, so that had to be put off until today. And just as I was cleaning up from breakfast, the power went off. On to Plan B, pricing things for our booths. I did a little work on planning the upcoming open mics, called our car insurance to get set up to replace our (very expensive) windshield, and then put Grimm together. The electricity came back on around 6, and once again I sent up heartfelt thanks for those crews who get out there and slog through who knows what to do the repairs.
Speaking of the open mics, Corey Hager, who started them, just won a Song of the Year award in his category at the Josie Awards at the Grand Ole Opry in Nashville! These awards are for independent artists; they had over 100,000 entries, and Corey was nominated in 2 categories, best new male vocalist and song of the year. You can hear his winning song here.




I've gotten the wrong days on things before. Good that you made good use of the time though. Hooray for getting the new tv all set up.
ReplyDeleteIt seems like the flooding is never ending this year. I feel so sorry for everyone affected.
ReplyDeleteAnd thank you for the shout out to the people who fixed your electric. My father was a lineman and he did hard, dangerous work in the worst weather. Who knows? He may have fixed your electric at some point.
...life too often isn't fair, it is becoming so dry and Sandyville is underwater!
ReplyDeleteWe got our first frost warning yesterday. It did not eventuate.
ReplyDelete