Pages

▼

Wednesday, September 30, 2026

Tiny Bouquets

51°f/10.5°C again this morning, about 75°as I write this with partly cloudy skies.

I have been working in the flowerbeds today, getting ready to plant a few mums and a couple Maltese Cross (Silene chalcedonica). My intention was to just go out and plant, but the ground ivy has become so rampant that I ended up pulling up bushels of the stuff. I'm about a 1/3 of the way done in the big flowerbed, and ready to give it up for the day. I'll get my pkants in before I quit though.

While working I picked a few little bouquets for the house. The first is gomfrena, Shasta daisy, lantana and some mini zinnias. 


Then a stem of the drift roses. Like all my roses,  these struggled this year.


I cleaned out the two wash tubs on the porch as the petunias I had in them were pretty well done, but i brought in the last of the blooms. Because of all the rain, there are hundreds of tiny petunia seedlings in the planters. I wish they had time to grow!


And last, a mix of zinnias, marigold, and a few other things.


The flowers will soon be gone, but for now they bring such pleasure, in a way more than the overflowing bounty of summer, because now each bloom gets to shine like a superstar.

Time to get back out there and plant. Then, I think, make a batch of chocolate zucchini bread? I have a few zucchini that I need to use, and this is the  tastiest way to do that!


Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

5 comments:

  1. I just love fresh flower bouquets in a home. They make me smile -- even pictures of them on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of the bouquets are beautiful. What a treat for you and Larry to see in your house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The flowers are very pretty. Chocolate zucchini bread sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The bread sounds great! My flowers are fading and I do miss them during winter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The flowers in our garden are spent, it's time to cut things back.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.