54°f/12.2°C, mostly clear. A gorgeous day after rain yesterday and overnight.
Wirt county is the smallest county in West Virginia, and one of the least populated, with less than 5,000 residents (down 6% since 2020). It is also beautiful, with large farms, the lovely Little Kanawha River, and a charming county seat named Elizabeth. This weekend was the annual Pioneer Days celebration, and we drove up to see what was offered.
The whole event was centered around the stately courthouse, which houses what we were told is the only elevator in the county. There was live music, activities for children, a horsedrawn wagon ride, Civil War re-enactors (who shot off a canon), crafts vendors, a car show and a parade (which we missed).
A free afternoon tea was offered inside this tent.
The tea included a choice of beverages, dainty sandwiches and sweets.
The museum was open and was filled with items donated from the community, all carefully labeled and cataloged.
These was even this nice oak phone booth from the courthouse,
The Little Kanawha Hotel, parts of which were built in1800, stands next door to the nuseum, and both are on the banks of the river. It is being lovingly restored and perhaps one day will once again be open to overnight guests, but for now it is a private residence. Tours were offered for the festival, and offered a fascinating history of the hotel, presented by the current owner.
A bowl of antique cut nails salvaged during restoration.
A quilt show was held inside the courthouse
The top quilt won first place. No wonder!
Painted Lady butterfly on a butterfly bush bloom
A cute windshield made with old silverplate, hangs on the hotel porch.
Inside the original part of the hotel, with our tour leader. There were many ghost stories shared about the hotel.
The old well outside the hotel.
A lady told us that this milestone covers the old town well.
Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.
Big WOW. So the series "Gilmore Girls" is based on the truth!!! I am amazed! What a wonderful event - thank you for sharing. Reckon I need to get the DVDs out!
ReplyDeleteThat looks like a lot of fun. I have been to Elizabeth many, many times, so I enjoyed the tour. How long have they been doing Pioneer Days?
ReplyDeleteThis would be fun. I love seeing things like this. That old hotel is amazing and so glad to hear they are restoring it.
ReplyDeleteIt looks like a delightful place and day. Our town is having a big celebration called Pumkinfest this weekend, but I don’t need crowds and celebrations. It’s mostly about getting there with parking being an issue.
ReplyDeleteAnd what a beautiful day you had, I would have enjoyed seeing the quilts in person.
ReplyDeleteThat looks like an adventure!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great day for a festival. It looks like such fun. I'd especially like to take a tour of that hotel. It had to be so interesting!
ReplyDeleteThey do a great job showing off their town! I was really impressed by the number of fabulous quilts!
ReplyDeleteThis does look like a fun day. There seems to be plenty of festivals in W. Virginia. I like that.
ReplyDelete