Pages

Sunday, June 15, 2008

WV Writers Conference

The 2008 West Virginia Writers Conference is over. It was a full weekend of workshops, networking, shopping the bookstore and storing away memories for the coming year. We talked about writing, about poetry, about marketing, about emotions, self-publishing and storytelling. We ate, drank, and made merry.


We're tired today, but satisfied. It was another great conference.


I was fortunate enough to take home several awards this year. This year I got my first "First" for a poem I read in a "people's choice" session. These sessions allow anyone to sign up and read their work; those attending vote on their favorite. I read my poem "Message from the Front" and it found a place in the listeners' hearts. Other readers were excellent, too, so I was surprised and delighted to win.


The contest has been good to me over the years, and I realize that I need to work harder to get more work published. Most of it resides safely on my hard drive, never seeing the light of day or even computer screen. I have many excuses for not submitting my work: too busy with work, family, gardens, storytelling. The real reason is that I have not moved writing to a priority in my life.
That needs to change.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations Susie! I remember when you told Dad about your awards how proud he was of you. I am sure he is beaming down on you still. So, when will you get these published, my brilliant sister? Love you, Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brava!!!!!!! Very happy for you.
    Ellouise

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...