Pages

Thursday, January 11, 2018

The Ohio in Ice

The past two days the weather has been like early Spring. I have the doors open today, getting some of that freshness inside. It will all end soon in more cold, snow and ice so I hear, but right now I am savoring the change.

Earlier this week we went to Marietta to work on our booths. It's been a month since we've been there. The holidays and then the very cold weather kept us from making a run upriver, so we did some catching-up work this week.

The river is so beautiful at any time of year, and when it's iced over it is as compelling as a sunny day in May.

I apologize for the spots on the photos. My trusty camera is, alas, finally going to be replaced. I've had it ten years and taken thousands of photos with it, so i will be sorry to let it go.




This one is in Ravenswood, the railroad trestle across Sandy Creek, that is still in use.
There was not a barge in sight this day, and I doubt there were any moving until at least today. I bet there's a barge traffic jam somewhere!


I never tire of looking at the Ohio River, no matter the season.


Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

2 comments:

  1. Brr, that looks cold. Warmed up here, but due to turn cold again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forget just how cold & icy it can get there living so far away now. It's been that way for many years.

    I thought you might enjoy this little bit of history too. http://appalachianmagazine.com/2017/01/17/the-coldest-day-in-american-history/
    Who can imagine Ice in the Mississippi in New Orleans?! I wonder if the Ohio was completely frozen over that year?

    I follow the blog http://www.traveling219.com/blog/ & they linked the above article on their Facebook page awhile bag. Rt 219 goes right down through the county I grew up in so I love reading what they share.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...