Pages

Wednesday, April 17, 2024

Along the Way: Wildflowers

67°f this morning (19°C) with light showers, overcast. Got up to 86 yesterday. Yuck.

I stopped as usual at the tiny picnic area on the way to camp, and again on the way home. My first stop was rainy, cold, and the trail was so muddy I didn't go far because I would have had to go off the trail...which meant probably tromping on some of the numerous wildflowers. So I contented myself with just a short visit.

This is the rambunctious North Fork of the Cherry River, about 10 miles or so from Richwood, WV, and location of the picnic area.


The bridge leads to the little trail.


I was thrilled to see red trillium in bloom.


Mountain laurel overhangs the muddy trail.


There was so much Dutchman's Breeches (or Squirrel Corn? See below) in bloom...whole hillsides of it.


Plants even grow on this mossy old tree.


A little waterfall rumbles down the hill.


Signage tells about the plight of an endangered species in the river.


And finally back to my lonely van in the parking lot.


On the way home, the sun was shining and it was actually quite warm. The mud had dried up enough for me to venture further down the trail.
I was greeted by a half dozen of these pretty little West Virginia White butterflies.


Once again, I had the area to myself.

There were many white hepatica


I believe this is Carolina Spring Beauty, although it is hard to tell the difference from the Virginia Spring Beauty.


Trout lilies were abundant.


As you can see, it was a much drier path!


Squirrel Corn or Dutchman's Breeches? I am not sure how to tell the difference. I have just learned about Squirrel Corn-- up to now I called anything like this Dutchman's Breeches.  Oh dear.




A tiny pale blue violet bloomed all by itself. 


I was sad that this closeup of a red trillium came out so blurry. Sigh.


Panax trifolius, commonly called dwarf ginseng.


Trout lily


Another Spring Beauty, not quite as brightly colored.

What a beautiful day it was to be in the woods,



and by a river.





Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

8 comments:

  1. We have lots of rain and it's cold over here...4C in the early morning. Beautiful wild flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful plants and wild flowers. Now I need to get out in the woods and see what's blooming. Soon the forest will overshadow most of the early wildflowers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spring beauty...a relief to see it and a joy as well

    ReplyDelete
  4. That river is really roaring. Great tour through the Appalachian woods.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! Do you see any morels? Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. 19C, oh, lucky you! 4C/39F when I went outside, brrr...
    Nice you care about nature! I need to post what we have here...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to find red trilliums, but we only seem to have white. Someone notified me of a red patch late in 2022 but when I asked about it last year, it had been washed out. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...