Pages

Wednesday, April 10, 2024

Moving Day

60°F this morning, about 16°C, I think? Cloudy, showers.

Not moving us, but plants.It has been the perfect day to transplant, and that is what we did. And boy do I feel it.

We started with digging up starts of forsythia and bridal wreath spread to plant at Sarah's cabin.  That was something she wanted to do while she was here but there just wasn't time.

Looking down at our house from Sarah's road. The roof is really all brown metal, but looks mismatched in this picture due to reflective light. 

When that was finished, I spread another bag of mulch, this time around a hydrangea and my one David Austin rose bush. Then we cleaned up the raspberry patch, a bit late but desperately needing to be done. I cut back my old canes while Larry transplanted new rootlings.  While we were in that garden I cut some parsley for drying, as the plants will soon go to seed and I won't have fresh until my new seedlings grow.

Then I moved on to moving coreopsis and some salvias while Larry fixed fencing around the new cherry bush and a small peach tree. I pulled weeds and  got on to my next job, stringtrimming, while Larry repaired tin that had blown off in last week's storm. 


All tidied up.



I cleaned up the rose garden the other day, but still haven't picked up my mess. Oops.

The red currant bush in bloom, and before I stringtrimmed that garden.

Very late daffodils that somehow planted themselves amidst the daylilies.


Double red tulips that were blown over last week and never straightened up, so in they came to enjoy inside.



And after all that? We sat down, y'all! Tea with lavender honey for me, coffee for him, and a piece of that raspberry pecan banana bread I made yesterday. 

Five solid hours of work, but we sure got a lot done. There is still plenty to do but I feel like we are on track. All this rain has meant no planting or other work in the veggie garden, which is good in some ways, as we can get on with all this other stuff.

Maybe I will get back out there and do more transplanting this evening. Or maybe not. Old bones seem to be complaining about that idea.

Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

14 comments:

  1. One day at a time, dear, one day at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When ain't you busy? LOL You are always on the move and busy..the cake looked great, Sue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I am not good at taking it easy, Angie. I love being busy, although it often results in being worn out and sore!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Yes, definitely out of shape from this winter. That should soon change!

      Delete
  4. Lovely gardens, they show all your hard work well. Oh that bread and a cuppa do sound so nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb, I have been so happy to finally have time for my gardens. Family, work, storytelling travel left little time for them.

      Delete
  5. You have a beautiful yard....*sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debby, one day you will have time for gardens. When that time comes, you must drive down here to WV and get some plants!

      Delete
  6. It is so good to get out and get on with the garden..and too easy to overdo things!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The older we get the more we feel the aches and pains associated with gardening. Just ask my wife!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gardening is a labor of love. I bet it feels good to get out there and get your hands dirty after a long winter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Worked outside 3 days in a row this week. Loved it but paying the price a bit!! Kathy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...