Pages

Friday, April 12, 2024

The Best Decade

Yesterday's post, which did not post as our internet was acting up due to the heavy rains. 

57°f, this morning, about 14°C. Raining, heavy overcast.

We got out to town this morning to beat the bad storms predicted for this evening. So far, we have had some very heavy rain, but no high winds. Larry went to a neighbor's and reported water over the road in tbe usual places. I am hoping the rains move on. Our ground is so saturated we will be growing webs between our toes soon.

Listening to the radio today, the show was discussing lessons learned as we get older. I had to chuckle, as the "experts" they interviewed all sounded about 30 years old, hardly old enough, in this old lady's opinion, to be passing out advice about life. 

But it did get me thinking.  What was the best decade of my life? I had a happy enough childhood; we weren't rich, not with 13 children, but we had books, music, flowers, backyard hotdogs roasts and occasional trips to the Blue Ridge mountains. Money was always tight, but we managed.

My teen years were okay too. My parents were strict Catholics, so we girls were pretty locked down. No extracurricular school events, no clubs, no boyfriends (although we broke down that rule). I married at 17, had my own little house at 18 and a second son by 19. I was very happy and contented.

My 20s were exciting. Two more sons, a move to West Virginia, building a house, learning to farm, living without electricity, wandering the woods, gardening and preserving food...we were always broke but we owned acres of land and our 4 boys were awesome.

Then came the tumultuous 30s. I got my first job and a Social Security number, I was working 2 jobs and still farming while husband was mostly unemployed, marriage went bust, remarried and had another son but stayed right here on this land. Then college. Whew.

My 40s: a good full-time job at last, Masters degree, storytelling, many grandchildren. I was on the road all the time. My gardens went to pot.

I think the 50s were my worst years. I lost a son, my parents,, several uncles and cousins and friends. My job became more demanding. Storytelling really took off. Stress was my middle name.

I retired at 60, but did more and more storytelling. Still, life was slower, better. We started our antiques business. 

And now, the 70s. I have to say that so far this decade matches the joy of my 20s. I am home most of the time, where I love to be. There are few demands on my time--for the first time in my life I can focus on what I want to do and not as much on what I need to do for others. Is that selfish? Maybe, but that's where I am right now.

So what were your best years? Young and getting started? Middle-aged and busy? Or these later, slower times?
---------

Adding today's news, which isn't much. 50°f and raining hard, again.  I am off across the mountains to Pocahontas County today, for a poets camp weekend and a reading of our book at the local library.  Assuming that I can actually get there. Flooding may be an issue and I won't drive through floodwaters. Wish me luck!

Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

15 comments:

  1. Maybe when I had young kids and then young grandkids. So let's say late-20s-early-30s and 60s. I retired earlyish so 50s were pretty good, or at least the last half.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The days of children--always busy, but looking back, so very special.

      Delete
  2. Good to think about...I'll let you know later, my favorite decade. I am grateful for something in each one, I know that. Glad to know how your life progressed, sometimes really fast, and now at a slower pace. Sounds completely reasonable! I also went back to college as an older woman, and liked it much better then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, each decade had its upside and downs. Some were just more better, to quote a grandchild!

      Delete
  3. Good luck. I am at the end of my sixties. Many good things have come of it. Many bad and scary things as well. I am hoping to have all our big projects knocked out by the time that I am 70. I am looking towards making my 70s the decade that I do what I want to do as opposed to doing what needs done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have earned some years of that, Debby. Time for you. I hope it comes to pass!

      Delete
  4. These are my best years, I think, as they wind down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  5. This was a joy to read and gave me hope, too. I am "only" in my 50´s now with a sick husband since 2008
    My best years? I dunno - I think they are about to come?
    Though, my best 7 months were 1999 living in a 4-wheeler, travelling Australia. In bad times I still think back and know how lucky I was!. The 20´s were flat-sharing. Not again. Oh, the 30´s too and later I had a horrible neighbor who kept me from going into my flat! Today I feel sorry for her. Right now I just deeply hope I get my job and yes, when I lost my first one I for the first time had time for myself - that was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You seem to have such a happy outlook, Iris, that I think you can make gold out of straw! Hoping that job comes through for you! My youngest son finally found a job after 4 months of worry. He started this morning. I am so relieved!

      Delete
  6. I don't think I could say that any are best...each decade has been different and contributed lessons to the whole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that, gz a very wise way of looking back and learning.

      Delete
  7. Thought provoking post! Sounds to me like you have had a lot of good decades. I like to think of each of my decades as good. If I could go back and relive one, it would be my 30's when the kids were younger and we were always together. My teens have lot of great memories. Would love to relive that decade again. My 40's, I wish I could forget, too many bad things in that decade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, to have our kids young again and knowing what we know now! Wouldn't that be great?

      Delete
  8. I so wish I could say my best decade was when I was raising my son. It really makes me sad that my 30s when he was small was my worst decade but having my son was one of the few redeeming things about that decade. I was caring for aging, dieing parents in that decade. I had some friendships break up in a very painful way & I was living with constant stress & upheaval from difficult family members.
    I can't say I've ever lived an entire decade without some kind of major catastrophe or hard thing & beautiful wonderful things. I guess that's how life is, the extreme pain & hard things can co-exist with extreme joy. Though one someones buries the other very deeply, both are still there.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...