Pages

Saturday, August 1, 2026

At the Greenhouses

70f/21C, cloudy with occasional light showers.

I enjoy visiting Mark's greenhouses. There is much to see besides tomatoes, like this perfect field of corn. Mark's farm is a West Virginia Century Farm, meaning that it has been in his family for over 100 years.


I took a few minutes to photograph weeds, like this perfect blue morning glory. 

And a couple pretty pink morning glories. This wildflower takes me back to my childhood,  when our garden would also be overwhelmed by them. We children loved them, of course.


This fellow is jimsonweed, and highly toxic to man or beast.


A closer look at the jimsonweed plant.


Chickory is one of my favorite summer flowers. We used to try to pick it for bouquets when we were children. Two problems with that: its atems are very tough, and the flowers close immediately when picked. So disappointing for a child!


I could take hundreds of pictures around this place.



Larry particularly likes the swinging bridge, as he grew up with one in his neighborhood,  and often crossed it.


Tug Fork Road is a very pretty drive. It's always interesting to meet other vehicles on West Virginia's back roads.


There is a local ghost legend about Tug Fork (named for the little creek that the road borders) that i developed into a short story and posted here some years ago. If interested, you can find the story by clicking here.

I canned some whole tomatoes yesterday, but still have plenty. We've given quite a few to neighbors, and today Larry is at our friend Maddie's place, helping with their barn building. Maddie is our milk provider, and they are building their own place as they get time and money. Been there, done that. It's hard work. I was too worn out and hurting from a very full day's work yesterday and in no shape to go, unfortunately.  Sure wish I could have!
There are such cool road names in that area: Rock Castle, Thirteenmile Creek, Tightsqueeze Hollow, Ghost Run, Jim Ridge. Stories behind each one, I am sure.


Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

4 comments:

  1. I love the bright purple chicory, too. However, I'm not a fan of swinging bridges. Most of the ones I've been on have been too rickety for my comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our wild chickory is a paler blue and a more fragile plant - but I do envy you the wild morning glories. My mother used to plant a vine beside the porch post when I was growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...chicory is one of my summer favorite too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only wild Morning Glories we have are that terribly invasive Bindweed. Beautiful pure white and evil. I wonder if that pretty blue one and the pink are also invasive?
    We saw quite a bit of chicory on our walk this morning. Such a pretty blue flower.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...