Pages

Sunday, September 20, 2026

More Photos from Colorado

69°f/50.6°C, rainy afternoon big storms overnight.

More flooding today, after some heavy rain last night. We are on our way to auction pickup, and water was right at the edge of Trace Fork, our usual route from home when going north. Apparently it had been over the road recently. More rain is expected, and some places are already flooding, including one church. Fingers crossed that the rain lets up for a while!

I still have more Colorado photos to share, so here goes.

Seen on the way to Boulder, in the casinos area.


Granddaughter Ashley, who live in Denver, came out to visit, and brought her younger half-sister with her. It was wonderful to see Ashley, as we rarely get the opportunity.  She is in IT,  and stays pretty busy. Of course we played the rock game from Petra Mons.! This game is made by Sarah's neighbor. He collects rock from the lake bed nearby, cuts them into 6 different shapes and polishes them. Each shape gas a number. The rocks are just beautiful,  so many different colors and textures. The game is played like this: each player gets 6 rocks to start. You roll the dice and then add your rocks together to make that number. For example, if you rolled 8, you could use you 5 and 3 or 6 and 2. The rocks are stacked on a provided rock base. If any fall in the process, you have to keep them. That's the basics; there are more rules for when you get down to 3 rocks or less, etc. I would love to have a set for home, but at $95+, it's out of my budget. Worth it, of course, because the rocks are works of art in themselves. Ah, to be rich!


Larry and I took the girls to lunch at Blue River Bistro, where I had this delicious beet salad.


The others had some good food too, including truffle fries. Oh. My.


In, Georgetown, which has the most per capita Victorian houses of any town in the US.


Hard to see, but a tractor trailer had to make use of the runaway truck ramp coming down the Continental Divide.  Made the local news! I cannot imagine what his trip down that long, steep mountain must have been like. As you might be able to see, he went up to the very end of the ramp. Terrifying.


Another Georgetown house, I think. There were so many cute ones!


Sadly neglected museum in Georgetown. 


Andy, his daughter, and Sarah, ready to go into the silver mine.


Wee little flowers.


Sarah's friend Nina was thrilled to win the rock game! She came here a couple years ago to do West Virginia's Great Greenbrier River Race,  a triathlon, with Sarah and our guys. Such a fun lady, and a county commissioner too. She came to Sarah's bearing the most delicious pastries for breakfast.


Andy and his daughter first thing in the morning playing---you guessed it---the rock game. We were all obsessed with it!


For a mere $3000, you can rent the very haunted Hotel Brown in Breckenridge.  It sleeps 14, so just $215 each! I would love to spend a night there!


These lovely flowers were everywhere. I think they were asters.


So many beautiful views. 


Flowers were everywhere in the towns but of course only survive with constant watering. And water is a scarce commodity there. I took this photo because i want to look up that flower. It was not familiar.


Enough for today! I may have more from our trip as I get them sorted out.

Sarah continues to do well, and awaits next steps in her road to recovery. She amazes me!



Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

23 comments:

  1. The rock game sounds like fun. I wonder if I could make one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun game! Glad Sarah is still healing. Isn't it fun to see the precious homes that have housed families for years? I am always wanting to stop and take photos of some that I see, but usually am the driver, so must watch for traffic. Hope your water situation has settled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Houses have such stories to tell!
      I hope you're doing well, Barb! You sure picked a beautiful place to live.

      Delete
  3. It's good to know that Ashley is doing well all considered.
    Did you manage to identify those flowers?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have never heard of rock game..how interesting! Spending money staying in a haunted hotel? Nay..I wouldn't even go if you paid me LOL...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are not asters. I am seeing them identified as Dames Rocket. Does that sound right? That rock game sounds like fun! I showed the runaway truck ramp to Tim. We javelin them here. I have never seen one used. That would be scary for the truck driver.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not Dame's Rocket. I have those and they bloom in May/June and are fairly tall. I will have to try to ID them.
      Not sure what "javelin them" means? An alternate way to slow down the trucks tgat lose their brakes?

      Delete
  6. Truffle fries!! And the salad looks good, too - as does the company.
    Uh-oh to that ramp!
    Hmmm, a house just our size... (one can dream).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would ve so sweet if you did find a tiny house! They are actually a trend here, but i would be claustrophobic in one, especially in winter.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful photos. That rock game sounds interesting. Not sure if I would like spending a night in that hotel or not but it sure would make for an interesting night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt there would ve much sleep happening!

      Delete
  8. 7C early this morning.
    I have never seen those truck ramps used. Mind you, we don’t have them hereabouts that I know of of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chilly! Send it on down. We have several more days of rain on the way here.

      Delete
  9. ...Georgetown sounds and looks to be a fabulous place, May Sarah continue to do well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmm. My comment disappeared before I hit publish I think.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm loving your photos. Delightful family memories, good sightseeing, loads of fun. It shows in the smiles. The rock game sounds really fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saving the memories to my blog as another storage place 😀 Electronic devices can't be trusted, as we have all learned. This water i can share AND save them!

      Delete
  12. Glad to hear that Sarah is improving. Hope her healing hurries up!
    You sure had lots of fun and saw so many terrific places on your trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a memorable vacation, full of good things and people, Ellen.

      Delete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...