Pages

Sunday, December 16, 2007

Christmas Baking

Today is the day! Time to start making some holiday cookies and such to give to friends and co-workers.

One of my all-time favorites is date bars, and I'll be keeping these for us home folks! My mother used to make them at Christmas, and I didn't like them much until I was in my teens. Then the rich bars became one of my favorites.

Here is the recipe. It's simple and I've never had a failure (although today could be the day--you never know...)


DATE BARS

Date filling:
3 cups of chopped dates
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup of water
1 tablespoon of lemon juice

Mix these ingredients in a small, heavy saucepan and cook for 10 minutes or until thick. (Add walnut pieces if you like (I don't). Probably 1/2 cup to a cup, depending on your taste.)

Crumb crust:
In a separate bow, mix:
1 3/4 cups of oatmeal
2 cups of all-purpose flour
1 cup of brown sugar
1 cup of butter or margarine
1/2 tsp cinnamon (this is optional, but I like it)

Mix the first three ingredients together; cut in the butter. Put half of the oatmeal mixture in the bottom of a greased 9 x 13 inch pan. Spread the date filling on top. Cover with the remaining rest of crumb mixture.

Bake 30 minutes in a preheated oven at 350 degrees. Cool slightly, then cut into squares while still warm.

1 comment:

  1. I started making cookies today too for my coworkers. I owe them a lot of thanks. I'm making them 7 layer bars, applesauce cake, and white chocolate chip swirl cookies. I don't know why it is so fun to bake for others - it just is.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...