Pages

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Two New Poems for the Season

In Cold Blood

Frost killed the rose
as quickly as a knife—
the murderer struck at night,
her crime discovered by morning light.

(First hard frost this morning)
S. Holstein 10.20.2008



Departed

Shadow hand on shaded form,
A whisper of a silenced voice,
Moonlight brings you near to me.

Your shape is clouded and unseen,
Still I know your scent, your step.
You hover close. I feel your breath,

Clammy cold it cools my face,
Earth-damp lips they kiss my cheek.
Bones scoured clean of healthy flesh

wear the dress funereal,
slip from my grasp and back to rest,
Ashes to ashes, dust to dust.

S. Holstein 10.20.2008

4 comments:

  1. Susanna, I love the first poem. We've had 2 or 3 hard frosts so far,but this morning it's a balmy 52!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, Janet, but wait til tonight! It's supposed to be stone cold again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your poems reach deep. Skillful use of words. Thanks, Ellouise

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like Departed the best.
    It reminds me...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...