Pages

Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Igloo: That Snow Project

The Igloo:


Construction crew: Derek (job supervisor), Jared and Haley (skilled craftworkers)

Materials: Snow, lots of it. Sleds for hauling snow. Hands for placing snow.

The interior: note the side light and the abundant floor and headspace.



What a neat project! It took Derek and his kids about 5 hours to build this, and when completed it stood well over 6 feet tall. When we saw it today, it had been melted and "condensed" by the rain, but was still sturdy and big.

4 comments:

  1. I love snow forts! You mean they didn't camp out? LOL I always sort of wondered how folks who camp in those things are able to build a fire without melting it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neat fort! I've enjoyed all your snow posts-makes me wish we'd get at least one big snow before spring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mouse, I wondered about that too. I know they left a vent in the roof but seems like it would get bigger adn bigger...

    Tipper, there are quite a few folks willing to give you some of their snow and ice right now! I slid into work but getting home is going to be a challenge--it's downhill on the way out, and uphill going back. Took me 45 minutes to go 4 miles this morning. Very, very slow on hard-packed ice and snow. My car was dragging on the snow in between the deep ruts in the snow. Sort of like aiming your car down a greased track!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Igloos are neat. My kids made an igloo once. We have pictures of them, I think it was either 1993 or 94 when we had the big snow.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...