Monday, November 11, 2013

A Veterans Day Salute



My annual Veteran's Day post, with some new photos of the vets in our family.

To all veterans, whether you chose to serve or were drafted, thank you. As the mother of soldiers and airmen, I know a little of what it took and what it still takes from you. And to all the families of our veterans, thank you too. You also gave much.


Above, son Derek with his daughter Haley after she made the state track meet.
Below, Derek at his promotion ceremony in June when he was promoted to Sgt. Major.

se are photos from post-World War II. Dad is in the front.


On the ship coming back to America after the war.

Dad and friends, goofing around--Dad is in the center bottom of the photo.
 Post-war Germany, so damaged. How sad is this? And yet wars continue. Mankind never learns from his past mistakes.


Dad at Dachau, where he helped with the post-war cleanup. No matter how grim, he was always able to find humor it seems! We did find a stack of photos taken inside one of the camps (I think it was Dachau, but cannot remember now). I could only look at the first two--they were too terrible.

Dominick Connelly, my father's great-grandfather, who served in the Union Army during the Civil War, serving as a dummer. He was imprisoned once at Harper's Ferry, or in that region, and I believe he might have been injured once too.

My mother's Uncle Sidney Wilson, a British soldier who was killed in 1917 in World War I, before she was born.


My grandfather, William I. Connelly Sr, who served as a lawyer for the Coast Guard during World War II.



My father, William I. Connelly Jr, who served in the Army Air Force in England during World War II (and also in Europe when the war was over).


My husband Larry, a Vietnam War veteran, above;


my son Jonathan Ford who served 10 years in the Army before a medical issue forced his early retirement;



and Jon with his wife Jennifer, who also served 10 years in the US Army, and as far as I can tell the only female veteran in our family. So proud of her.




Above is my son Aaron Ford who served 4 years in the US Air Force; and below is Tommy, who served in the US Air Force.



To all our soldiers, my profound gratitude and respect.


Copyright 2013 Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

2 comments:

Nance said...

love and respect to all the Veterans who served and who are still active. Mine and yours. I'm saluting, singing the Star Spangled Banner and America the Beautiful. Thanks and regards to all.

Sue said...

What wonderful photos, and I especially love the old ones, which you are so fortunate to have!

=)

Happy Veteran's Day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...