Anyway, about the cake: one bowl, mixes quickly, and is ready to eat in about 45 minutes.
1 1/2 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 cup shortening (I used olive oil)
3/4 cup milk
2/3 cup jam or jelly
chopped nuts (optional)
1/4 cup brown sugar (I mixed in a little cinnamon)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine all the ingredients except the last 3 in a mixing bowl.
- Beat with a fork until just blended.
- Spread in a 9" square greased pan.
- Dot with jam; sprinkle with the brown sugar and nuts.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the cake comes out clean.
You can add a glaze of confectioners sugar mixed with a bit of milk or water if you like. I prefer the cake without the glaze but it's good either way. I've used all kinds of jam for this and it's always good.
Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.