And there will be prizes too: $100 first place, $75 for 2nd, $50 for 3rd, and $25 for the Youth winner. So your young'uns can enter too.
This is guaranteed fun for the whole family. I'll be there as one of the judges, and might tell a tale before the contest starts. I am so looking forward to this!
I hope you can join us. Here are the rules and information about the contest:
‘Come all ye tall tale tellers, liars, prevaricators and stretchers of the truth’
7 p.m. Friday, July 3, 2015 Historic Alpine Theatre, 210 W. Main Street, Ripley, WV
1st Fourth Fibbin’ Contest
The Appalachian tradition of storytelling will be featured during this new event for the Ripley Fourth of July festivities, “The USA’s Largest Small Town Independence Day Celebration.”
Pre-Registration – email: Director@VisitRipleyWV.com, Ripley Convention & Visitors Bureau, 115 N. Church Street Suite 4, Ripley, WV 25271. Call 304-514-2609.
Event Day Registration – 6:00-6:45 p.m., July 3, 2015, Alpine Theatre
Awards: $100 1st Place; $75 2nd Place; $50 3rd Place; $25 Youth Award (17 & under)
- The event is open to everyone.
- “Fibs” should be short, family-friendly stories lasting 3-5 minutes.
- All contestants must register.
- The order of telling shall be determined by drawing numbers.
- No written materials or props may be used.
- Judging will be conducted by a panel of 3 on the following categories: A. Technique (delivery, confidence and general stagecraft); B. Story Development (good use of the allotted time); C. Originality (new material or fresh handling of a familiar yarn); D. Effectiveness (in the judge’s opinion, taking audience response into consideration)
- Judges will score the four categories on a scale of 1-5 for a maximum of 20 points. Final scores will not be given to contestants.
- Judges will confer at the end of the competition to determine the awards. There will be no ties. Their decision will be final.
- Fibs may be videotaped and displayed by the Ripley CVB.To process monetary awards quickly, winners must complete a standard W-9 form, invoice form and supply the Ripley CVB with Social Security numbers. Youth winners must have their own Social Security numbers and be accompanied by a parent when completing the forms.
- Winners will receive award checks in the mail within four weeks of the event.