Pages

Sunday, May 5, 2024

Of Flowers and Little Pitchers and Wouldacouldashoulda

62°f, 17°C. Clear early but clouding up now and rain in the forecast. Good rain yesterday and last night.

One of our neighbor's goats, waiting on a picnic lunch, I guess?

I swear the grass grew 3 inches last night! It is not easy to keep up with it this time of year. And it seems that no matter what I am doing, I ought to be doing something else. 

Like yesterday,  after we got home from town (we could have got what we needed Friday after we finished with the booths, but we were both just too tired to tackle Walmart, the only place in town that had what we needed), Larry got on the mower to get done what he could before the rain started again, and I got busy with my stringtrimmer.  

But maybe I should have been putting plants in the ground, since it was a perfect time to do that? If I chose to plant, though, I would have been aggravated about the shaggy grass! I did pull a lot of weeds when I was finished with the trimmer,  which felt good. Today I will plant, rain or no. And round and round the garden merry-go-round goes.

The corn is up and the other things we have in the ground are doing well. More and more flowers are opening. Here's a few of the peonies. 







And another iris.


I made pancakes this morning, and as I set the table I wondered when the world quit using syrup pitchers, and for the most part even cream pitchers. 


Today's syrup was cherry-elderberry. Pretty good.

For that matter, do people set the table anymore? We do take a shortcut, having all the flatware in spooners on the table. I like using traditional tableware but I fear I am in a dying generation for such things. 

Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

8 comments:

  1. Sue and I do not eat at the table at home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We do not eat at the table very often anymore either. Couch or island. When we have guests, we generally eat at the table. I sent you an email, hopefully you get it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great first pic!!! Here much colder...
    Beautiful flowers! Here still nothing.
    Our kitchen table is supersmall, from my Granma from the 1950s, not much to set there.
    Ingo has a pitcher for milk, though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a few photos somewhere taken outside a beach restaurant in Mexico where a group of goats were standing on top of a parked car to reach and munch on leaves in a tree. Goats are strange critters.

    Your comment about pitchers had me thinking. I remember we used to have a syrup pitcher but I can't recall where or when it went. None of the family ever used cream in their coffee or tea so we didn't have a pitcher for that. But I know what you mean -- the old ways are disappearing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the way you have utensils at the ready and an actual syrup pitcher! I hope someone likes ceramic pitchers because I'm taking 3 to sell at the Tailgate Market next Saturday. I always suggest they make good vases as well. And I use some of my favorites for that as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the way you have utensils at the ready and an actual syrup pitcher! I hope someone likes ceramic pitchers because I'm taking 3 to sell at the Tailgate Market next Saturday. I always suggest they make good vases as well. And I use some of my favorites for that as well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Flowers are lovely! Dinner is almost always at the table. Other meals are whatever! We still set the table…nothing fancy but at least set! Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad that your knee is better! Even though I eat alone, I do set the table for myself complete with a cup and saucer.
    And if I had some yummy elderberry syrup, I would use a pitcher too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...