Pages

Saturday, June 15, 2024

Catch-Up Photos

Some random photos from the past week or two:

This one is from this morning, actually.  I ripped out a LOT of lily-of-the-valley, which had taken over one flower bed. I like that flower, but is is so invasive. I will never get entirely rid of it, as it spreads by roots, but I sure thinned it out, then planted begonias in its place.


Play, play, and play, until they wear each other out so completely they have to lie down to finish the game! Guinness is settling in quickly, and fits this place perfectly. 


The yellow rose, outgoing itself 


Found in a thrift shop this week, a 1930's Burley  and Winter handled jug.


And an antique mall find. I can't find the maker of this one, but for $1.50 I couldn't pass it up.


There were many of these trees in bloom at the writers conference site last week. I don't know what kind it is, and Google lens isn't helpful.


The cabinet i finished up last week, I thought. But there was a gap in the bottom shelf that just didn't look right, so Larry cut a new piece and put it in yesterday. Now, we need our neighbor to help load it because this thing is really heavy.

My current project. I stained the top and painted the rest dark blue. Loving how it's coming out. We found this in the trash in town. All it needed was sanding and a few tacks put in the back. Those drawers aren't really that wonky, just not put in correctly!


A small project I finished last week.


My favorite photo from the writers conference.  Not my photo but one taken by Helen Buccell-Costa, and used with her permission.  Author Lynne Squires made the perfect caption: a cowboy and a hippie walk into a bar...


A lamp I have been working on. I needed to add the spider that holds the shade, but to do that meant taking the whole thing apart. Then I had a rummage session, finding the other parts I needed to make it all work. After I got it back together, I realized that I had put a lock washer in the wrong place. So I have to take it all apart again. Sigh.


I think this is a Great Fritillary butterfly, working the flowers last week.



Along our road.


The State Roads graded and added new gravel, which has certainly improved things. This hill was almost impassible when I moved here 50 years ago. It still gets pretty rough, but is much improved. Back then it was basically two tracks, with lots of big rocks to bounce over.


I found these feathers in our garden, but found no dead bird. I wonder, what drama played out there? And whose feathers might these be? A robin, perhaps?


Yet another part of our road, so pretty any time of year.


All for today. Have a good weekend, everyone!

14 comments:

  1. I love your photos of your lush land.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd guess woodpecker if I saw those feathers. Oh I wish lily of the valley was invasive in my gardens! You would probably be amazed at how much I've coddled and encouraged the small number of plants that have managed to survive here, and that aroma is just about my favorite. And the green cabinet with the shelves and drawer is EXACTLY what I need, and I would be coming down to pick it up (along with a carton of goodies from your Kitchen and Tools sections) if I could. I bet it will fly out of your shop. Great to see Guinness already fitting in so well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be sad if it was indeed a woodpecker...well, sad for any bird, actually, except cowgirls.
      I do wish you lived closer! What fun we would have...me enjoying the goats, you nosing around my booths!
      Lilly of the valley is such a sweet little flower. I surely wish it wasn't invasive here. I put it in several places and am now fighting it back.

      Delete
  3. I think I recognize the writer's conference as one my mother went to for several years. She took up writing after she retired and had several things published. She always enjoyed the conference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if I met your mother? I've been attending off and on for 20 years or so.

      Delete
    2. You probably did. She went to most workshops and entered several things she wrote. She won a few prices.

      Delete
  4. Nice photos, I got a laugh after seeing the cowboy and the hippie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the simple, 'Along Our Road' composition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am glad I caught that-- that field was mowed for hay the next day.

      Delete
  6. I love the pictures of the road as well. Nothing says rural like a gravel road and wide open fields.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes you really do find treasures at a thrift store. Not too long ago I came across a long out-of-print book I had been hoping to find - and it was in great condition too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a good find for sure! I think my best find was a framed art print that I bought for $2 and sold online for $500, to an art dealer. And now I cannot even remember what the print was!

      Delete
  8. I just LOVE those yellow roses! And whew, you work so hard on all your furniture! That right there seems like a full-time job, and yet you also garden, cook, write, and more? Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ...I like the dude's tie dye shirt as I sit here with one of mine on. I wouldn't have passed up the $1.50 pitcher either, I need to shop with you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...