Pages

Friday, July 26, 2024

I Said I Wasn't Going To


Just the other day, I said I was not going to can any more tomatoes, or put up any more green beans.  Well, yes, but then a lot of tomatoes got ripe, green beans needed picked and my neighbor who was supposed to get them couldn't because of her job and it being fair week. 

So I was back in tbe kitchen today. I froze the beans, then made bruschetta with the tomatoes. Y'all, this is some good stuff! I used the recipe from the Ball Jars canning site; it combined white wine, white wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar, oregano, basil, and a little sugar, all simmered together before pouring over the chopped tomatoes in the jars. Although the recipe didn't call for it, I peeled the tomatoes.

Isn't it pretty? There was a little left over after the jars were filled, so I toasted some rye bread, cut it in wide strip and ate the bruschetta with that. What a tasty lunch.

Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

17 comments:

  1. The jars of bruschetta look wonderful. And you even peeled the tomatoes!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I did! I didn't have the plum tomatoes the recipe called for, so I used mt black tomatoes and a few red ones. The black tomatoes are very juicy, so I drained off a lot of the excess juice.

      Delete
  2. I think our canning days are done. It’s about three years now since we last did some - beets, pickles and baby corn. I also made salsa and I might do that again. It was damn good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember when my mother decided to stop canning. But then she decided to make "a few jars" of jam. Which turned into quite a few jars!

      Delete
  3. Looks like you got your electricity and internet back. I have some tomatoes I need to do something with this morning, so I'll give the recipe a look. I do like bruschetta.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The electric is back but not cell service. Apparently that won't happen until next week. So I am using my satellite internet for wifi calling.

      Delete
  4. That is wonderful! Each time we have enough left-over (bought) tomatoes I enjoy making pizza-sauce. I add truffle-oil, hmmm, so yummy. And hot jalapenos from the market. Fresh basil..., wine...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I plan to use your pizza sauce recipe this week! It does sound delicious.

      Delete
  5. Just couldn't help yourself, could you? Barb would have done the same thing. Now you have enough for 2 years! Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just hated them to go to waste, Jim! Now I am looking at gazpacho recipes.

      Delete
  6. MMM, love some bruschetta!I hadn't discovered it until a few years ago...it's an appetizer on various menus. And then I found out all the varieties there are. Yours sounds divine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't go wrong with more canned veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. After looking at all those bottles, I am sure you can spare one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's lots of tomatoes...a lot work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What beautiful jars! I always peel tomatoes, too. I just don't care for those little rolled up bits of skin it show up in sauce and whatnot if the tomatoes haven't been peeled. Learning the trick about cutting a little X in the bottom of the skin and dunking them in boiling water for one minute so they start peeling themselves was one of the best time savers I've ever learned :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I pick up a ;little different dialect from you and another southern blogger. You wrote "green beans needed picked" while we would probably say "needed picking." Your jars look great btw.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...