Pages

Monday, October 21, 2024

Better

46°f, clear. No rain in sight for the foreseeable future.


Larry's "poutin' house", at the edge of the woods. He sometimes uses it as a deer stand, but that's about it. Who has time to pout these days?

I am happy to report that Larry is much better, and is up and busy. He is still drinking the Pedialyte and has little appetite, but definitely over the bug. Which, we learned, is going around. I am still hoping to avoid it. There is no way I can rush to the toilet right now!

Yesterday was a bad day for me with my knee. Perhaps it was lack of sleep,  or maybe all that nighttime busyness, mopping, etc. Whatever it was, my knee was miserably painful all day. I have heard that there will be good days and bad days, so I guess it's to be expected. Last night, I took a couple OTC sleeping pills that my son uses, and slept 4 hours straight.  Pain brought me awake, and finally in desperation I took a pain pill and slept another 3 hours. What a blessing! Today I was able to do my PT and I feel like a human again.

In reading your blogs, I know there are some of you dealing with hurts too--Granny Marigold's foot, Quinn's shoulder-- and those are in some ways more difficult to manage than my knee. 

And then I think about Barb and Lisa, both affected by the terrible floods in North Carolina. That disaster has left me stunned and horrified. I cannot imagine how people are coping after losing loved ones, homes, livelihoods,  even their whole communities. I read where rescuers hiked in to get a man whose back was broken in a landslide. It took them 3 hours to get him out. Can you imagine his pain? And the weariness of the rescue crew? 

In my own neighborhood,  a younger neighbor had a stroke on Friday, and is in very serious condition. Another is worried about her 10 year old son, who has cysts in his lungs that must be removed. And even my own Larry has 2 blocked arteries; he has yet to learn what the VA will do about that.

So yes, I should not complain about my pain. I chose to do this. I have a comfortable, warm home,  good food, and a husband who is now trying to do the right thing. I have family I can call on if needed. I am surrounded by good neighbors. I am fortunate, and need to remind myself of that every day. 

Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

3 comments:

  1. My husband is also having good/bad days with his shoulder replacement. In the large scheme of things, these are small problems, but must be dealt with nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since I have had two knees replaced, I really hear you about the nighttime pain. But, at your stage, if you are like me, you are almost out of the woods. Try, if you have not, a roll of something (I wrapped a pillow sham around a big can) under the knee to keep it flexed a bit when you like flat. I know they say not to do that, but if you are doing your exercises, you will get the full bend, even with this hack.
    And, yes, there is always someone who has worse problems. I know that at 10:00 am, but at 2:00 am, it is a different matter.
    Glad Larry is better. If you have not picked it up by now, you are probably okay, or I sure hope so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...we need to appreciate good health.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...