Pages

Friday, July 31, 2026

Lakeside Lunch

64°f/18°C, clear and cool. 

We stopped in Point Pleasant on our way back from Huntington on Wednesday, to have our lunch by a little lake in Krodel Park. Lake is really a misnomer; it's more like a large pond, but the idea of eating by the water appealed to us both.

So we stopped at McDonald's,  of all places. We rarely, rarely ever eat McDonald's food, but Point Pleasant doesn't offer many places for take-out. It was so odd to actually order a hamburger, and fries! But that was what I wanted. And a Coke. None of these are ever on our menu at home, so it felt downright sinful.


This mallard duck family seem to be veteran panhandlers, but we did not encourage them by giving them any scraps.


I am not sure what bird that was that photo-bombed the above picture. A swift, perhaps? I never even saw it until I was looking through my pictures.

Mama was quite a lovely lady. We never saw the mister.


These 2 young ladies captured our attention. 


I am not sure what they were doing, but at one point it looked like they were washing their hair.


Down from us, a young man set up his fishing pole.


Ironweed was already in bloim by the lake. Seems early for it.


We call these flowers hibiscus, but my phone says it's swamp mallow. I like hibiscus better. These bloom in the wild all over our area, and there are pink and red varieties too.



So peaceful. There is a large campground here, but it was quiet while we were there.


There is a replica of Fort Randolph on the park grounds. The original fort was built in 1776. 


Here is what Google says about it: "Fort Randolph was a key American Revolutionary War outpost in Point Pleasant, West Virginia, built in 1776 at the confluence of the Ohio and Kanawha rivers to protect the Virginia frontier. It is infamous as the site where Shawnee Chief Cornstalk, his son, and a Delaware chief were murdered in 1777, and it withstood a major siege in 1778 before being abandoned and later rebuilt. Today, a replica of the fort stands in Krodel Park, about a mile from the original site, hosting historical events and tours."

The state park Tu-Endi-Wei (too endi way) is located on the original site of the fort, and you can read about one of our visis there in the above link. We have never toured this replica at Krodel Park, but plan to do that this fall. Hard to believe I have lived so close to it and have never done that.


I do not know this history of this old cabin either, so we need to learn about it as well.


This was a nice break in our 2-plus hour drive home, and I hope we do it again. Maybe not with a hamburger lunch, though!




Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...