Pages

Thursday, May 31, 2007

Two Storytelling Dynamos

I was supposed to be paying the bills, but instead I was listening to a CD by storyteller Ellouise Schoettler. I remember when she began telling. She and her family were regulars at the West Virginia Storytelling Festival.

That was 10 years ago. Today Ellouise is a pro. Her stories were smooth, nice finished edges, good pacing, and the interaction with her audience was evident from their laughter during well-placed pauses. The performance centered around stories about textiles and textile art, from handmade to crafted items. The rich texture of family threaded the pieces together to make a seamless whole.

Ellouise is a teller to watch or rather listen for (although I would bet she's fun to watch too).

After the CD finished it was back to the bills. Then the phone rang. It was Donna Wilson, who called to tell me she'd won second place in the Hockhocking Festival's Liars Contest. She had some stiff competition too. Donna's energy and enthusiasm are infectious. She was the driving force behind the Stories at the River's Edge series planned for this summer in Mason County, WV, and Meigs County, OH. I have no doubt the series will be a success. Donna's been a Tellabration producer for over 5 years, and her storytelling skills increase with each passing year. I think she's found her niche with lying, though. She told me the bones of her winning story, and it's a keeper.

Never did finish paying the bills, but I'd rather listen to a storyteller any day.

2 comments:

  1. Ellouise is a great storyteller and I am so glad that you've given her a nudge from your blog. You can hear lots of her stories, for free, at Storyteller.net. Check out her page at http://www.storyteller.net/tellers/eschoettler.

    Thanks-
    Sean
    http://www.seantells.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know I could hear a story by Ellouise at Storyteller.net. Thanks for telling me!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...