Pages

Monday, July 16, 2007

200,000 miles

200,000

I watched it roll over today--200,000 miles on my 2001 Nissan Sentra that I drive every day to work, to storytelling performances, to visit family and wherever else my travels might take me.

This is my fifth Nissan Sentra (well, actually the first was a Datsun 210, away back in 1984). All of them have been near 200,000 miles when they left us, but this is the first one I've actually seen roll over. It was impressive. I didn't stop and push it a mile, but the car deserved such a tribute. Instead, I continued on my way to work, just another day of many similar days.

What a car. I know it's past time to find something else to drive, but I'd feel like a traitor. It doesn't burn any oil, the 5-speed transmission and clutch are as strong as ever, and the only thing that doesn't work is the trunk latch that just started giving me problems over the weekend. It takes the 100-mile round trip to work every day as smoothly as the day I bought it.

So here's to my car, the trusted little companion that has carried me safely for so many miles.

2 comments:

  1. I'd drive that thing like a borrowed mule until it just couldn't get one more breath!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you! I can't see any reason to let it go now. At 35 mpg and reliable as the sun rising in the morning, I'd be a fool to get rid of it.

    But I do need something bigger for storytelling. When I load up my sound system (and it's a small one), my storytelling props and outfits and my overnight case, the car has room for just two people and nothing else. So the car may still be my commute car, and a van or something similar my storytelling wheels. I did that for a few years, but that Olds van could not keep its tranny in place. That was annoying to say the least.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...